Toronto Visa stamping

dsp236

I had interview on Dec 10 and here my 2 cents on the process:

I'm Canadian citizen & was working on TN visa in US and started permanent residency so have to move to H1B visa.

I'm FTE so have no clue about CVC or other module.

Interview dates:

The dates fluctuate a lot and at any given time the available slots varies. Book the first available and the keep trying for other dates. My first available date was end of Jan & then after 2 days I got 1 week of Jan and after 1-2 days I got Dec 10. My first choice was week of Dec 16 but I was happy with Dec 10. Try to get an early morning appointment.

Booked flight to Buffalo & took rental & drove to Toronto.

Paper work:

Carry all the paper work you think will be required

F1- I-20s all & OPT paper.

Pay stubs / bank statement / mortgage papers etc

W2's

Tax returns

Degree / certificate (translated & evaluated copy if required)

Passport Photos not more than 6months old with white background.

$10 Canadian in change in case you need another photo. Only take $5 & $10. No change given.

Copies of passport / interview appointment / DS160 / I797/LCA/ petition & previous visa.

Client / vendor paper work etc.(no clue)

Interview: FIRST IMPRESSION IS THE LAST IMPRESSION

Dress formally

Formal pants, dress shirt, tie, black shoes (Suit optional). Groomed.

I have seen other interviewees dressed shabbily .... not sure why .... common your career and future is dependent on this interview give your best shot.

My interview was at 930 am and I reached consulate at around 8.15 am parked at deck opposite the consulate on St Patrick Street. Went for coffee ....There are couple of coffee shops near consulate:

Starbucks on Simcoe street 2 Tim Hortons on either side (1-2 blocks away). Free internet available.

There is line outside consulate & usually people stand 30 mins before their interview time but due to security or other issues its never on time.

I was standing in the line at 850am and at that time the security were moving 8.00, 8.30, 9.00 & 9.15 am appointment ahead of 9.30 appointment. Its a long wait ....So dress up appropriately for Canadian winter and the windchill from Lake Ontario is killing.

My turn came up around 1030 am & you enter the consulate once security confirms your appointment & passport.

Next is security screening:

No big bags, lighter, sharps, flash drive, remote car keys, electronics or cellphones are allowed inside the consulate but you can leave with security & pick them up after the interview. I'm not sure if they will keep the laptop. They will refuse entry if you have sharps, lighter or big bag etc.

Once security is done a sticker is placed on your passport & next guy will verify your papers put in plastic blue folder and the pick up location for passport is confirmed.

You enter the hall & stand in line where tokens are issued at 1-3 counters & photographs verified.

They will let you know if new photographs is reqd. I usually carry a set of photographs just in case.

Once you have the token you will be called for fingerprinting at last the 2 counters . They will fingerprint left hand 4 fingers then right hand & later 2 thumbs. Once done you wait for your interview.

Usually there are 2 counters for interviews & you are called in random order.

My interview was pretty short less than 2 min.

Employer name

Earlier Visa

Salary

Visa approved.

Be confident, don't lie...... nobody knows the job responsibility better than you so answer slowly & clearly.

I don't see any reason for 221g paperwork if you are well prepared.

Don't stay there and talk to other candidates....... leave consulate & pick up your stuff from security on the way back.

Now the worst part waiting for passport at the courier company. If your interview was on Monday then expect email on Wednesday evening after 730pm. The email sender is :

Laser.report & most likely it will be in junk folder.

The email says that passport has been picked up but not available.

If you check the status after 1030 then it will be updated to ready for pick up or dispatched to location requested.

All the passport are processed through Brampton office before they are sent out to other locations.

Double check one more time in the morning before heading out to make sure its still at the same location. One person passport was sent to Ottawa location because the consulate didn't update his pickup location.

The office opens at 830 am and they will require the waybill number and photo ID.

I picked up the passport verified the paperwork 7 & booked my return flight ..... drove back to Buffalo crossed border & they did not stamped my passport even after talking to border agent supervisor. I called up my lawyer & he was OK with it. The I94 on I797 will work. They never took my old I94 back so will mail to London KY office.

Drove to airport & back home safely.

My back up plan was to fly to India in case of any 221g for vacation & will come back once its processed.

Good Luck !!

Archived