H-1B Stamping at Vancouver- Question on Validity date/new extension

RainbowStars30

Hello All,

I am planning to go for visa stamping in mid october and I have a question on the validity dates.

My current I797 expires on Dec 31, 2012 and I am going for stamping in mid October i.e I will have only few months left with the current H-1B. But my company filed for an extension and got it approved for 3 years i.e until Dec 31,2015. So, my question is If I go for stamping in mid October -

1). Which I-797 to be used for filling DS-160 ?

2). Do I have to show both the 797's to VO or just the current one ?

3). If it is approved, then will I be stamped on basing the current I-797 dates or on the new extended dates?

Is it worth/safe to go for stamping with just few months left with the current H-1B or is it better to wait until the new H-1B starts in January, 2013 ?

Guys, please shed some light and I really need your advice.

Thanks

I am not sure about this.. let me explain what happened for my case

-my old 797 is valid till sep 19 2012 and i went to stamping on march 8th.. got successfully stamoed

- In aug applied for h1 extension and it approved valid from sep 20 2012 to sep 2015

- I went for stamping on aug 16th for new extension (one month in advance) and got successfully stamped.

The VO asked

- why are you here so early, is your old visa expired?

I answered "Its going to expire soon" (1 month)

both cases I went to vancouver

Hope this helps.. let me know if you need anything

• 4 weeks later...

Also, do u have valid visa stamping on current one which expires on 31Dec12? or need stamping for that I-797 also?

Mine also expiring on 31Dec12 and I got new approval starting from 01Jan13 recently. I dont have my visa stamped with current I-797 also....

Your current status also need visa stamp or not, is a key point here. Please let me know....

Archived