Simple misdemanor dui 10 year back.

dui10yrback

4 hours ago, dui10yrback said:

Hi, 

I have a simple misdemeanor DUI on my record from 10 years back (2006).  Would trump's executive order impact me if I travel out of US.

I have traveled out 2-3 time earlier and had no issues. 

Please advise - Concerned.

are u a visa/gc holder? it could impact.. also it is uncertain.. never know what would the visa officer or the port of entry cbp officer would do at this point.. better consult immigration attorney if u plan to travel.

Guys... I got the answer directly from the horses mouth - CBP.  Please see below.

CBP INFO Center <customs@mailfg.custhelp.com>

1:29 PM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Hi I have single misdemeanor DUI conviction on my record from 10 Years back. I a...

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (CBP Officer) 02/09/2017 01:29 PM
Dear Vinodh,
You can re-enter the US with a valid passport and H1B visa.  The DUI is not a problem.  Please see the 1st link below.

Mark

Information for International Visitors to the US

About Visas - The Basics

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to call our toll-free number 877-CBP-5511 (877-227-5511).  From outside the United States, please call 202-325-8000 – you may incur charges from your telephone service provider for this call. Our service hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Eastern Time. We are closed on all U.S. federal holidays.

We hope our answers ease your entry into the United States. Please understand these answers are informational only, The CBP officer who speaks with you upon arrival determines the admissibility of goods and visitors.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

NOTE:  The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only.  Utilizing this forum does not constitute Reasonable Care under Informed Compliance guidelines.
 Customer By Web Form 02/02/2017 11:22 AM
Hi
I have single misdemeanor DUI conviction on my record from 10 Years back. I am a legal immigrant on the part to permanent residency. I am currently on H1B and an Indian citizen.

As per information in the CBP website, (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/402/~/entering-the-u.s.-and-canada-with-dui-offenses) a single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S. I have entered few times into the US with no issues but for a secondary inspection.

I am in fear now. If I had to go to India on a family emergency or death, would I have any problem re-entering.

Appreciate your help in clarifying.

Sincerely 
Vinodh Narayanan

But section 5 of the executive order says, 

["as well as removable aliens who: 

(a)  Have been convicted of any criminal offense;

(b)  Have been charged with any criminal offense, where such charge has not been resolved; "]

I too fall fall under misdemeanor , does it make a removable alien ? 

Im very much worried with the news in the last week , of being arrested many non-citizens  by ICE officers coming home. 

On 2/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, Ritu794 said:

But section 5 of the executive order says, 

["as well as removable aliens who: 

(a)  Have been convicted of any criminal offense;

(b)  Have been charged with any criminal offense, where such charge has not been resolved; "]

I too fall fall under misdemeanor , does it make a removable alien ? 

Im very much worried with the news in the last week , of being arrested many non-citizens  by ICE officers coming home. 

You could be denied entry  if you travel outside the US, but not removed if in the US. The CBP officers have discretionary powers, they can deny you entry.

Discuss with an Immigration attorney if you are intending to travel with a criminal record.

You can contact me through my personal email.. its in my profile.

Archived