Are F2 visa holders allowed to do unpaid internships?

Akitnava

Hello there!

A friend of mine recommended Murthy.com to me and said that I would seek all my answers for US immigration/Visa purposes. Hoping to seek help here.

My husband is currently pursuing his Phd and is obviously, on an F1 status. As his dependent I am on an F2 status. I know that on an F2 status, I cannot work. So my question for the forum is this:

On an F2 status, am I allowed to do unpaid internships if there are any? I know that some internships give a basic travel conveyance/travel stipend and free lunches. I have come across some internships in companies where I fit in, but I haven't applied anywhere because I don't know if I am legally allowed to do so? Any information on this will be thoroughly appreciated. 

Hi jairichi. Thanks for responding.

So if these internships do not involve any money at all, let's say they do not give a lunch/travel stipend too, am I still not allowed to do them? I mean as long as I am not getting any stipends too and just seeking an experience (more like a voluntary service), ideally I am not violating any law, am I? Just curious. Please explain. 

So if these internships do not involve any money at all, let's say they do not give a lunch/travel stipend too, am I still not allowed to do them? I mean as long as I am not getting any stipends too and just seeking an experience (more like a voluntary service), ideally I am not violating any law, am I? Just curious. Please explain. 

Unfortunately the answer is NO. Whether paid or unpaid you cannot do that. 

Paid or not doesn't matter.\

On F2, you can NOT do this. Period.

Archived