Visitor Visa for own (elder) brother and step mother

221g_blue_np

Hi Friends,

I'm in the US for the past 1.5 years working on H1-B visa.

I have a elder brother (37 years old) who practices independently as advocate in India. 

And our step mother, who is a house wife. 

They would like to attend my 4 year old daughter's birthday celebrations coming up in May 2015. And stay with for couple of weeks and go back. 

They never had a US visa and this is the first time they will be applying for a B-2 VISA to visit us.

I will be providing all the necessary documents required from my side to invite them along with the documents that they have to gather from their side as per the VISA requirements.

My brother is married & has a son. They will not be coming to USA or the VISA interview. It's just my brother who is planning to accompany my step mother.

Few questions

1. The last name is spelled differently in mine & my brother's passport. Will this be a problem?

2. Since he is not working for anyone & is independently practicing lawyer/advocate, how likely/unlikely is it to get B-2 VISA? 

3. In my passport, I have my own mother's name and not step mothers. How do I prove that she is my step mother? Can this be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Also, one more question. Is it too early to attend the visa interview now (in the month of January or February 2015) to attend the birthday celebration which is in 3rd week of May 2015?

Generally most nations ask for filing a visitor visa not more than 3 months before the anticipated entry date. I doubt it applies to US. Applying in February might be a good option.

Archived