I 797 expired but I 94 valid

rsodhani

My I-797 from present employer expired in May 2014 but I my H-1B visa and I-94 are valid till Jan 2015.

* Is it legal for me to work without getting the current I-797 renewed?

* Is it legal for me to stay in USA when I-797 is expired but I-94 is valid?

No that's not illegal, you H1 is expired when your 797 was expired. VISA is not required to work, its only required to enter into US.

Thanks guys for your trunaround.

My attorney from present job is saying that its legal for me to work based on I-797 which I used for stamping (which is valid till Jan 2015 and was from a different employer) and I-94 which is also valid till Jan 2015.

So you both are saying that I should have a valid petition from current employer to continue working. Correct?

jairichi you mentioned that its not legal for me to stay. If I-94's validity doesn't makes it legal to stay?

As soon as H1b petition is expired, the beneficiary will start accruing 'out of status' days. Any work after I797 expiry will be counted as work without 'work-authorization'. Now OP has two options:

1. If spouse is on H1b, do COS to H4. Because OP is currently out of status, H4 may be approved with Counselor Processing. 

2. Reenter in USA after getting H4 visa stamping.

Thanks guys for your trunaround.

My attorney from present job is saying that its legal for me to work based on I-797 which I used for stamping (which is valid till Jan 2015 and was from a different employer) and I-94 which is also valid till Jan 2015.

So you both are saying that I should have a valid petition from current employer to continue working. Correct?

jairichi you mentioned that its not legal for me to stay. If I-94's validity doesn't makes it legal to stay?

That is strange. Your old petition is no more valid as an employer has to revoke the H1B petition the moment you quit working for them. I94 does not stand alone for H1B. Petition validity is also required. Talk to an independent attorney to be double sure.

rsodhani.... u get proper response frm d members here. 

U may need to present facts properly to ur attorney. The current I-797 (must be after getting H1 Tfr.) has overrode the last H1 I-797 validity. Ur I-94 must be having a new validity in the bottom of current I-797. That is the final work authorization date. One may invite permanent bar of 3 years if they exceed 180 days from the last work authorization expiry date. 

Please ignore if I not got ur things properly.

Thank you all for your responses. I also understood that this is not legal for me to continue working. Please guide me through possible options.

* should I file for I-797 extension now through same company? If yes, what are the chances of approval ? and also, if premium processing will be beneficial than regular?

* should I come on H4 immediately and explain the situation there? 

* if either of these scenarios require consulate processing?

Please add if you have any other suggestions. It is time critical for me so quick responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you all for your responses. I also understood that this is not legal for me to continue working. Please guide me through possible options.

* should I file for I-797 extension now through same company? If yes, what are the chances of approval ? and also, if premium processing will be beneficial than regular?

* should I come on H4 immediately and explain the situation there? 

* if either of these scenarios require consulate processing?

Please add if you have any other suggestions. It is time critical for me so quick responses will be appreciated. Thanks.

Best option is to talk to an attorney. I believe you will need to exit US asap. Let employer file a cap exempt H1B petition and on approval travel to US with a valid H1B visa and new I797.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm in similar situation. My i797 expired in Jan 2015. I missed to notify my employer for i797 renewal. My visa is valid till 2018. Please advise.

VISA doesn't matter when you are inside the US. What matters is a valid 797 with I94.

That's weird that your employer doesn't keep track of his employees legal status and now you are in trouble.

If your I94 is expired in Jan and you don't have new I94 then you are in trouble, contact an attorney ASAP and find another employer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived