F1 to Green Card Possible?

Hi experts and problem solvers -

I was on H1B from Aug 2007 to Jul 2013 and used up all of my 6 years. I then got admitted to a top 25 MBA program in the US by getting an F1 visa. (its another story that I had to go to India to get the F1 after my H1 to F1 COS was denied).

I just completed 1 year of the 2 yr MBA and right now in my 3 month CPT. I am hopeful that I will get a job before I graduate. I will also have an year to work on OPT.

1) Normally the employer would have filed for a H1 during my OPT but in my case I don't think an H1 can be filed. Is that right?

2) If a H1 cannot be filed, can the employer file for a GC directly during my OPT?

3) What happens then? I know that the OPT cannot be extended. Will I get an approval (to stay and work here) before the end of my OPT?

What are really my options here?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you rahul412 and t75. Appreciate your responses!

I am not too worried about employment post-MBA. I'll explore further options outside USA if that's inevitable.

MBA's unemployed or not, just get PERM done straight in one year after joining company. You don't really need much for PERM recruitment if you are competent in what you do and articulate your skills. Good luck.

Archived