Getting green card before marriage

Hi,
I need some help with my GC dilemma. My priority date is current now but I am single and I dont know when I will get married.
I am still looking for the bride. she could be from India or US
If I get my GC now, how easy is it to bring wife from India to US?

i think I need to apply for family based (F2A) which has 2-3 years wait time.

Till she gets F2A, can she use B2 visitor visa?

B2 visitor visa requires renewal every 6 months. I am not sure if there are any issues with constant renewal of B2 visas.

other option is F1/H1B, if she can find a job?
I was wondering if anybody had experience with bringing spouse from India after getting GC

thanks.

Unfortunately, H1B is the best bet (while waiting for F2A). But getting the H1B will not be easy - (have to find the employer first, and have them apply for H1 on 1st April...and even then she can join only in Oct of that year).

Both F1 and B2 require non immigrant intent.

It's interesting that H-1's can bring their dependents immediately but Permanent Residents have to wait for a while.

Unfortunately, H1B is the best bet (while waiting for F2A). But getting the H1B will not be easy - (have to find the employer first, and have them apply for H1 on 1st April...and even then she can join only in Oct of that year).

It's interesting that H-1's can bring their dependents immediately but Permanent Residents have to wait for a while.

The H1 is a non-immigrant status.

A GC is for immigrants.

So, you are comparing apples and oranges.

And with the election loss of Rep. Cantor in yesterday's primaries, the outlook for better immigration policies has become much weaker.

The rules are well known. IF you don't want to wait, marry someone who does not need sponsorship (wait it is financially advantageous to marry someone wanting to immigrate to US).

The H1 is a non-immigrant status.

A GC is for immigrants.

So, you are comparing apples and oranges.

And with the election loss of Rep. Cantor in yesterday's primaries, the outlook for better immigration policies has become much weaker.

You are right - both are different statuses ...and that it would be like comparing apples and oranges (from a immigration law perspective). That said, it still points to a flaw in the law when a citizen and most non immigrants (other than those on short term visa such as B1/2) can get their spouses to join them immediately but a LPR has to wait in the line. Even though this situation doesn't affect me (I am not a LPR), I do sympathize with people in such situations.

I keep hoping that better sense prevails in the immigration reform debate (and the republicans, after the primaries, work for a constructive solution) but that's hoping for a lot, I guess.

It is the law; it is not a matter of "sense". There is a really big difference between a "guest" and a "permanent resident with a GC". GCs are limited in number BY LAW. It is NOT a "flaw in the law"; it is by conscious choice. You chose to come the US. If you do not like the rules, you can leave for some country more in keeping with your desires. 

If you are going to live in the US you need to understand you need to obey laws that you disagree with. You can work to change them when you become a citizen. Until that time, QYB.

You are right - both are different statuses ...and that it would be like comparing apples and oranges (from a immigration law perspective). That said, it still points to a flaw in the law when a citizen and most non immigrants (other than those on short term visa such as B1/2) can get their spouses to join them immediately but a LPR has to wait in the line. Even though this situation doesn't affect me (I am not a LPR), I do sympathize with people in such situations.

I keep hoping that better sense prevails in the immigration reform debate (and the republicans, after the primaries, work for a constructive solution) but that's hoping for a lot, I guess.

There have been some improvements in the CIR bill, but besides politicians, a bunch of people on H1 and waiting for a GC also helped to shut that down. Not only politicians are short-sighted...

Archived