All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nisha098

First/Last name in I-765 Application for Employment authorization form

Hi, I’m an F-1 student currently pursuing my final semester of Masters program from a university in the USA. I’m currently applying for OPT. One of the forms I have to submit is the I-765 form.

I’m having trouble filling the name section of this form as I have only one name, Nisha which is my first name.

My Passport state my name as follows:
First name: Nisha
last name: “” (blank)

My I-20 states my name as follows:
First name: “” (blank)
last name: Nisha

My VISA state my name as follows:
First name: FNU

I spoke to my international student adviser who said that they had asked about this issue to USCIS in one of their meeting recently and were advised to use the passport format.

If I'm not mistaken we are supposed to use the I-20 and passport format to fill i-765 but as stated above both the formats are different.

I would like advise on how the names section of the form should be filled out, should it be according to the I-20, Visa or Passport?

Thanks and Best Regards

Hi, I’m an F-1 student currently pursuing my final semester of Masters program from a university in the USA. I’m currently applying for OPT. One of the forms I have to submit is the I-765 form.

I’m having trouble filling the name section of this form as I have only one name, Nisha which is my first name.

My Passport state my name as follows:
First name: Nisha
last name: “” (blank)

My I-20 states my name as follows:
First name: “” (blank)

My VISA state my name as follows:
First name: FNU

I spoke to my international student adviser who said that they had asked about this issue to USCIS in one of their meeting recently and were advised to use the passport format.

If I'm not mistaken we are supposed to use the I-20 and passport format to fill i-765 but as stated above both the formats are different.

I would like advise on how the names section of the form should be filled out, should it be according to the I-20, Visa or Passport?

Thanks and Best Regards

Why you did not notice this and raise the issue when I-20 and visa were issued?

I did, I was told that this is a common issue and the first name is written in the last name section and the first name section is left blank.

Why you did not notice this and raise the issue when I-20 and visa were issued?

I did, the international student office and the graduate office told me that my I-20 will be issued with my first name blank and my last name section will have my first name as the last name field is a mandatory field to be filled in their database. The format of the I-20 followed the format of the VISA(except for the FNU part).

I did, I was told that this is a common issue and the first name is written in the last name section and the first name section is left blank.

I am surprised how they did that by changing your first name to last name? Ask your DSO what to do. They need to provide you a solution.

I spoke to my international student adviser and he said that the name in the I-765 form should be written according to the passport format.