3 year extension beyond 6 years of H1-B

Hello all,

My attorney says that as long as my PERM application is filed before hitting my 6th year of H1-B, I can get another 3 years of H1 extension.

I was under the impression that I-140 needed to be filed to get another 3 year extension ... is that incorrect?

My current situation - Perm filed on June end but got an inquiry this month. So I'm not sure when PERM will be processed. My 6th year on H1-B runs out in Sept 2014. I thought that PERM needed to be processed and then I-140 needed to be filed and processed after PERM was processed to get an extension beyond the 6th year.

Hello all,

My attorney says that as long as my PERM application is filed before hitting my 6th year of H1-B, I can get another 3 years of H1 extension.

I was under the impression that I-140 needed to be filed to get another 3 year extension ... is that incorrect?

My current situation - Perm filed on June end but got an inquiry this month. So I'm not sure when PERM will be processed. My 6th year on H1-B runs out in Sept 2014. I thought that PERM needed to be processed and then I-140 needed to be filed and processed after PERM was processed to get an extension beyond the 6th year.

You are correct. Only approved I-140 can get you 3 year extensions. With a PERM pending for more than 365 days you get 1 year extensions.

Archived