Applying for EAD with a passport nearing expiry

payal24

Hi,

I need some help on the following issue.

I am on a L2 visa and planning to apply for my EAD next week. My L2 visa is valid till Feb 2016 but my passport expires in June 2014(3 months left for expiry).

Is it necessary for me to get my passport renewed before I apply for my EAD?

Please help.
Regards,
Payal

Hi,

I need some help on the following issue.

I am on a L2 visa and planning to apply for my EAD next week. My L2 visa is valid till Feb 2016 but my passport expires in June 2014(3 months left for expiry).

Is it necessary for me to get my passport renewed before I apply for my EAD?

Please help.

Regards,

Payal

Better get your passport renewed. I believe EAD expiry date is based on your husband's and your I94 expiry.

Thanks for the reply jairichi.I just applied for my passport renewal but looks like it will take atleast a month before I receive it. So I was wondering if I could apply for my EAD instead of wasting a month's time.

You can apply. Once you get new passport immediately send a copy of it to USCIS using the EAD application receipt number.

Thanks jairichi.

After applying for my passport renewal I realised that I would need the passport for my EAD biometrics appointment. I guess Im in trouble now !! There's no way I would receive my renewed passport for atleast a month now. If I have my biometrics appointment is before that I do not have a passport in hand !!

Thanks jairichi.

After applying for my passport renewal I realised that I would need the passport for my EAD biometrics appointment. I guess Im in trouble now !! There's no way I would receive my renewed passport for atleast a month now. If I have my biometrics appointment is before that I do not have a passport in hand !!

Once you get a biometrics appointment scheduled and do not have your new passport you can always reschedule your appointment by call them or visiting the service center in person.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jairichi. Your replies have been very helpful.

I did get an appointment for my EAD biometrics. It's in about 15 days from now but it does not look like my passport will be renewed by then.

The biometrics appointment sheet also mentions that a national ID card (of the country you belong to) will suffice as a identity proof. Do you have any idea if PAN card is treated as a national ID card?

If not I will reschedule my appointment. Please can you help.

Thanks again.

Thanks jairichi. Your replies have been very helpful.

I did get an appointment for my EAD biometrics. It's in about 15 days from now but it does not look like my passport will be renewed by then.

The biometrics appointment sheet also mentions that a national ID card (of the country you belong to) will suffice as a identity proof. Do you have any idea if PAN card is treated as a national ID card?

If not I will reschedule my appointment. Please can you help.

Thanks again.

In US for an Indian citizen only a passport is considered as valid proof of identity. I believe you would get your passport within 3 to 4 weeks of application

Thanks jairichi !! 

The website stated that the passport renewal would take 3 weeks. But after sending several mails to them I was informed that it can take up to 8 weeks for renewal. The website was misleading. I live in Denver and had to send my documents to the Houston center. In Chicago and New York center's you receive it within 3 weeks but Houston and Atlanta take much longer. Din't know about it before.

I will probably reschedule my appointment for now. Thanks so much again !!

Thanks jairichi !! 

The website stated that the passport renewal would take 3 weeks. But after sending several mails to them I was informed that it can take up to 8 weeks for renewal. The website was misleading. I live in Denver and had to send my documents to the Houston center. In Chicago and New York center's you receive it within 3 weeks but Houston and Atlanta take much longer. Din't know about it before.

I will probably reschedule my appointment for now. Thanks so much again !!

Yes, I got mine renewed from Chicago and I got new passport in 2.5 weeks. Even when you reschedule your appointment   and once you get your new passport it should not be a problem for you to walk in to service center and request for biometrics to be done. Usually they are very accommodative.

Archived