Speeding Ticket and H1B Renewal - DS-160

rahul.2111

Hello,

I have returned to Chennai to get my H1B Visa re-stamped. I am filling up the DS-160 form and am stuck on one of the questions -

Have you ever been convicted or arrested for any crime or offense, even though subject or pardon, amnesty or other similar action?

I have never been arrested. However, I received a speeding ticket in Austin, TX sometime in Aug 2013 for travelling 17mph over the posted speed limit. I pleaded guilty and requested to get the ticket adjudicated by taking up a defensive driving course. However, I missed the last date for completing the course and hence I still have the speeding ticket violation on my driving history record.

How should I answer the above question in the DS-160 Visa Application form?

Your timely help is much appreciated.

Thank you.     

Rahul

Hi

I think there is nothing to worry, you can mark "No" for this, as you are not convicetd or arrested for this.

I had a ticked in Feb 2009, for speeding, opted for a driving course, missed the dat and ended up in my licenses suspension.

I am going to stamping on Jan6th, if somehting happens will post to you, if your interview is after mine, you can count on mine :).

It affected my insurance drastically, but for Visa stamping you should be fine.

Thanks,
giri

Hello,

I have returned to Chennai to get my H1B Visa re-stamped. I am filling up the DS-160 form and am stuck on one of the questions -

Have you ever been convicted or arrested for any crime or offense, even though subject or pardon, amnesty or other similar action?

I have never been arrested. However, I received a speeding ticket in Austin, TX sometime in Aug 2013 for travelling 17mph over the posted speed limit. I pleaded guilty and requested to get the ticket adjudicated by taking up a defensive driving course. However, I missed the last date for completing the course and hence I still have the speeding ticket violation on my driving history record.

How should I answer the above question in the DS-160 Visa Application form?

Your timely help is much appreciated.

Thank you.     

Rahul

I believe pleading guilty and getting sentenced is being convicted for the offense, So your answer has to be YES.

Thank you all for your responses. I feel good about completing the form now. 

Giri - Do let me know how your stamping goes. I always get a it nervous when it comes to stamping. My email id is rahul.2111 at gmail.  

Jairichi - Since this happened in the suburbs between Houston and Austin, I didn't really have to appear before the judge in court. The court performed some of these functions via a Tax County Office. So I went there and they gave me a form where I checked the box for pleading guilty and offered to take the defensive driving course. On failure to complete the course, I went to the same office and paid the remaining fine. 

Thank you all for your responses. I feel good about completing the form now. 

Giri - Do let me know how your stamping goes. I always get a it nervous when it comes to stamping. My email id is rahul.2111 at gmail.  

Jairichi - Since this happened in the suburbs between Houston and Austin, I didn't really have to appear before the judge in court. The court performed some of these functions via a Tax County Office. So I went there and they gave me a form where I checked the box for pleading guilty and offered to take the defensive driving course. On failure to complete the course, I went to the same office and paid the remaining fine. 

Ok then it is not a serious offense. You should be good and your answer has to be NO in DS160.

Archived