Greencard holder marrying a girl in India

sri_cba

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a U.S. Greencard holder. I recently received a potential alliance from this girl who lives in India. Now she is interested in pursuing higher studies in the U.S. on an F1 visa and is planning on applying to some schools close to where I live. Since as a Greencard holder I don’t have a choice to bring my spouse on F1 visa, the idea is that once she finishes her school and gets a job only then we will register our marriage in the U.S. Our families though would like the marriage to be registered in India before she comes here so that we can start living together while she is attending school. (We both are in our mid 30’s) So I was thinking that assuming she gets an F1 visa and then I go to India and have a  registered marriage there, can she still come to the U.S. on an F1 visa? would this be an option here? Thanks for your valuable time and help.

Best Regards,

Sri

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a U.S. Greencard holder. I recently received a potential alliance from this girl who lives in India. Now she is interested in pursuing higher studies in the U.S. on an F1 visa and is planning on applying to some schools close to where I live. Since as a Greencard holder I don’t have a choice to bring my spouse on F1 visa, the idea is that once she finishes her school and gets a job only then we will register our marriage in the U.S. Our families though would like the marriage to be registered in India before she comes here so that we can start living together while she is attending school. (We both are in our mid 30’s) So I was thinking that assuming she gets an F1 visa and then I go to India and have a  registered marriage there, can she still come to the U.S. on an F1 visa? would this be an option here? Thanks for your valuable time and help.

Best Regards,

Sri

Once married, in DS160 form she has to mention that she is married and not single. Also, she has to give the name of her spouse or closest relative in US which would be you. You can not lie. I believe you have to forget about bringing her on F1. Wait for other members opinion.

• 5 months later...

Married is married. There is no such thing as registering a foreign marriage in the US. Do not attempt to claim you and she are not married if you are as it can result in a permanent ban for entry into the US for misrepresentation of a material fact.

Archived