Can I bring my wife on H4 dependent visa

mohammed7860

Hi :

I have a H1- B visa, but do not plan to go to marriage to India as I am scared, I'll be delayed stamping coz I am a consultant and do'nt want to take the risk. I am planning to do my nikah via phone which is legal as per our religion. My spouse is not a citizen or Green Card holder of US. Will I be able to bring my to be wife to US on H4 dependent visa. If yes, what will be the documentation and processing requirements.

Your assistance will be highly regarded in this matter.

Thanks,

Mohammed Obaid

Hi :

I have a H1- B visa, but do not plan to go to marriage to India as I am scared, I'll be delayed stamping coz I am a consultant and do'nt want to take the risk. I am planning to do my nikah via phone which is legal as per our religion. My spouse is not a citizen or Green Card holder of US. Will I be able to bring my to be wife to US on H4 dependent visa. If yes, what will be the documentation and processing requirements.

Thanks,

Mohammed Obaid

Yes, you can. You need to register your marriage and get a marriage certificate in India

Hi :

Thanks,

Mohammed Obaid

Can you get marriage cert after 'Nikah' has been done??

My question is can a person get married without attending for his/her marriage??

In india thr are different marriage laws (depending on religion), and all of them have different requirement. This is different than registration of marriage.

But i believe to register a marriage by court -> phone nikah might not workout.

It will be better if your relatives can consult a lawyer (specialized in matter of muslim marriage) and get better opinion.

Well that was my doubt. I know what happens in nikah, but to register I guess that person has to present at that time.

Not really. For christian marriages the register from church is taken to registrar office and based on that marriage is registered. There is no need for bride and groom to be present to be issued a certificate. I might be wrong. This is what happened for many of my friends' marriages and for me too.

Actually, such a thing is not acceptable for USCIS.

You may be right, but if its acceptable by certain religion, USCIS will not come in picture. He will first take required document from Religious authority that marriage is as per religious law, and then go to court and procure marriage registration.

USCIS will see marriage registration and not the way marriage happened. 

You may be right, but if its acceptable by certain religion, USCIS will not come in picture. He will first take required document from Religious authority that marriage is as per religious law, and then go to court and procure marriage registration.

Court does not register marriages in India. It is the marriage registrar offices in each state. If OP has to do a court wedding he has to travel to India and he is not interested to travel

But they will ask the question how did they got  married when groom is in US?

As far as tradition is concerned, this marriage is legal and valid, but for immigration purpose I don't think so.

OP, why are you scared of going to India and get married?? Their are 100's ppl in the same situation and they did it.

They (or rather the consulate) will know how it happened.

A marriage by phone will result in not getting an H4.

This is a true story: A soldier stationed in Iraq got married over the phone. His new wife was in the US. This is a somewhat common occurrence in the US military. The soldier was killed in combat before he ahd a chance to return to the US. The only way his wife was able to obtain permanent residency was by a Private Bill passed by the US Congress naming her directly.

This is a true story: A soldier stationed in Iraq got married over the phone. His new wife was in the US. This is a somewhat common occurrence in the US military. The soldier was killed in combat before he ahd a chance to return to the US. The only way his wife was able to obtain permanent residency was by a Private Bill passed by the US Congress naming her directly.

But, what it has to do with OP who is a nonimmigrant and not a US citizen?

So the soldier was US citizen??

But in this case OP is non-immigrant. But you have mentioned about applying visiting visa that might work. But not sure how things work in this scenario.

They would have to have a marriage ceremony in person. That's what USCIS expects.

Marriage over the phone are not accepted by USCIS.

And trying to hide that it was a marriage over the phone, as somebody suggested, could of course result in a ban. I'll never understand why some people advocate gambling with their future...

They would have to have a marriage ceremony in person. That's what USCIS expects.

Marriage over the phone are not accepted by USCIS.

And trying to hide that it was a marriage over the phone, as somebody suggested, could of course result in a ban. I'll never understand why some people advocate gambling with their future...

Got it.

Archived