Please help! I797 expired but 221g yellow case approved!

infomemo

Hello All,

Please help me on this.

I gave visa interview on August , 2012 and my I-797 was having one year validity that is until June 2013.

At the time of interview VO gave me yellow 221 g and asked me to keep checking my case status and once my case number is there on PDF link I can submit my passport.

I am confused now since my I797 is expired but my case just appeared on PDF link how should I proceed from here?

I am still working with same petitioner and client. Do I need to file a new H1 work permit? If yes then do I need to go for interview again or not?

Please advise.

I didn't get that..u had interview last year and got approved. since ur visa expired in june 2013. did u applied for ur H1 extension?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I gave visa interview in August 2012 and was put  under admin processing, I was given 221g yellow slip saying when my case number appears on status link given in the slip then I have to submit my passport and I797. This week my case number appeared on the link but  I797 (which was valid only for one year) already expired last month.

So my question is do I need to apply new I797 to get the visa stamping ? If yes, then do I just need to just submit the new I797 along with passport or have to go for visa interview again.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I gave visa interview in August 2012 and was put  under admin processing, I was given 221g yellow slip saying when my case number appears on status link given in the slip then I have to submit my passport and I797. This week my case number appeared on the link but  I797 (which was valid only for one year) already expired last month.

So my question is do I need to apply new I797 to get the visa stamping ? If yes, then do I just need to just submit the new I797 along with passport or have to go for visa interview again.

I believe if your I797 is expired you can not expect US consulate to issue a H1B visa. You need to get an extension of your old I797 document or find a new employer willing to file a H1B cap exempt  petition for you. Did you ask your employer's attorney about this situation? If not then ask him/her

@jairichi: Thanks jairichi for your reply. My same employer is filing an extension. But no one is sure whether I need to go for visa interview again or not. Any comment?

I assume your employer is the same based on whom you applied for a H1B visa at US consulate. If yes, when you are submitting your passport submit your extended I797

• 3 months later...

Archived