Indian passport for USA born child for American and Indian parents

GreenerLight

hi,

very specific Q i have and if someone can help. As US born child can get Indian passport if both parents are having Indian citizenship. I want to know and confirm if same can be done if only one of the parents has Indian citizenship while other parent is naturalized to US citizenship. 

TIA

ps: lets not discuss pros/ cons etc (there are other thread already with info)..

A US born child is a US citizen and must have a US passport. India does not permit dual citizenship and thus the child cannot have an Indian passport.  If one parent has naturalized, he/she is no longer an Indian citizen and should not be making that claim. He/she needs to decide whether or not to pursue the other option available to former Indian nationals.

I think Indian consulate has an option to register the child's birth within an year of his birth. Now, Since the child is US born, US will always consider the baby a US citizen. It doesn't matter if you acquire US passport or not.

However, for some reason, Indian consulate believes that if you get a US passport, you cannot get an Indian passport. At the same time, If you do not get a US passport, you can very easily apply for an Indian passport.

This is a little tricky situation where US and India have different understanding on the citizenship. I think if you want to apply for your child's Indian passport, do not apply for US passport ever and register his birth with Indian consulate within an year of his birth.

Keep in mind that with Indian passport, the child can travel to India but cannot fly back to US as the US consulate won't give visas to US citizens. At that point the only option would be to surrender your Indian passport, apply for a US passport in India (if thats possible), then fly back.

The child has the option to renounce his US citizenship when he turns 18. At that point, He can keep his Indian passport and apply for a US visa, if he desires.

• 5 months later...

nineballs, your information was really helpful.

I am in the similar situation and I don't have any plans of coming back to US. I have few questions. Can someone please answer them? Any help is appreciated.

1. Obtaining Indian registration of birth and Indian passport means that the child is Indian citizen and he/she can make a decision on citizenship at the age of 18?

2. If we get Indian passport for the child, will there be any problem at US/India/transit airport security?

3. Does obtaining Indian passport affects child length of stay in US?

nineballs, your information was really helpful.

I am in the similar situation and I don't have any plans of coming back to US. I have few questions. Can someone please answer them? Any help is appreciated.

1. Obtaining Indian registration of birth and Indian passport means that the child is Indian citizen and he/she can make a decision on citizenship at the age of 18?

2. If we get Indian passport for the child, will there be any problem at US/India/transit airport security?

3. Does obtaining Indian passport affects child length of stay in US?

You seem to be confused.

Regardless of an Indian passport, the child IS a US citizen. There can never be a limitation about how long a US citizen can stay in the US.. This is the child's country, due to the child being born here.

A paper from the Indian government does NOT change that. Please try to understand that.

A US citizen by law has to have a US passport when entering or LEAVING the US, by law.

That would make the Indian passport invalid, so getting an Indian passport is just a waste of money.

Archived