When to process GC when on H1B

thescorpion

Hi All,

I have a question relate to the GC processing, the timelines and the category. I was in US from April 2007 to Jan 2010 on H1B. I was working with a US IT Consulting Company during my earlier stay in US. Then came back to India in early 2010, and continued working with their India Operation.

Few months back, I got my H1 petition extended and renewed under Cap exempt thru a consultancy company in US. All visa and everything is stamped, and I am all set to travel to US by End of May. I will be on the payroll of this consultancy company who will put me in different client projects on a contractual payment basis. The renewed visa is valid till Nov 2015.

Now to file a GC for me and dependents

1) When should I start the filing process? The company has agreed to file my GC, but have no idea how this GC thing work.

2) What is the normal processing time for GC

3) Are there any categories in GC, how do I know which category I belong to

4) I understand I can’t stay in US beyond Nov 2015, since this is my second renewal quota of 3 years. However will the 3 years be counted from the day I land in US, or it will go by the Petition validity dates?

5) Can I extend my petition again Nov 2015, since during my previous stay I was there for 33 months only?

6) If by Nov 2015, GC is not approved – how do I extend my stay in US?

7) Can h1b be extended beyond 6 years? If not, what are my options to stay back in US

Appreciate if someone can help.

Thanks

Thescorpion

I was also in the same mode...totally ignorant about GC matters before applying for it....it was a sorry state of affairs..and not a good position to be in..later experienced that ignorance is not bliss.

as shandan suggested, pls go thru this forum to learn more about it..spend atleast a week reading all topics..you are good to go.

also go thru uscis site.

good luck..come back with specific Qs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived