Reform legal immigrants before reforming illegal immigration

phoenix2010

For one simple reason - because they proved it's in the best interests of the country. They provided the votes to elect a President. They cannot be taken out of the workforce because they are an important part of it. The country can't function without them. And who is where in that line is quite honestly, irrelevant.

They provided the votes to elect a president?????Even if Laws will be passed for illegals to make them legal, they will not become US Citizen in one night, as it may take a decade to get the GC, and then on top of that another 4 to 5 years for getting the Citizenship. How in the world according to your majestic idea, they can provide votes to elect a president?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people won't be getting exploited anymore, they get higher salary, which means more taxes to the US, they can start buying things like cars, etc. Which is good for the US economy, etc. etc. etc.

Please learn a bit about economics.

That's correct, one of my friends was also mentioning about this. I completely agree with this.

Getting these people out of the shadow and into the normal economy is good for them and for the US economy.

You mean to say that you want to legalize the smuggling?

They provided the votes to elect a president?????Even if Laws will be passed for illegals to make them legal, they will not become US Citizen in one night, as it may take a decade to get the GC, and then on top of that another 4 to 5 years for getting the Citizenship. How in the world according to your majestic idea, they can provide votes to elect a president?

One of the groups where Obama had a huge advantage were Americans of Latino descent.

As Marco Rubio recently so nicely said: "It's really hard to get people to listen to you on economic growth, on tax rates, on health care if they think you want to deport their grandmother."

Oh, and Rubio, who is probably in the race for the Republican Presidential nomination for 2016, said more:

"You know this not as a statistic. You know them as a human being, a walking, talking person who is in pain, and who came here because they were hungry and because their kids were starving and their family was hurting, and they did what any parent would do when faced with that circumstance. They did whatever they had to do to provide for them. And you have to always remember that when you talk about this.""

Rubio shows himself to be a human being, whereas some people posting on this thread don't seem to have that trait.

For one simple reason - because they proved it's in the best interests of the country. They provided the votes to elect a President. They cannot be taken out of the workforce because they are an important part of it. The country can't function without them. And who is where in that line is quite honestly, irrelevant.

Once you can prove that this country needs you badly, you can get ahead, too. Just being in line means nothing.

Really, the country can not function without them? So they are not taking the jobs away from legal US citizens? In 2012 the number of unemployed people in US was ~12 million in October. So you are saying none of them would have done the work the illegals are doing?

And you agree that ultimately it is all about the politics of vote. Thanks for that.

And thanks for your advice to me to prove my worth so that I get the GC, I have already done that and have it legally.

Come on guys.. chill out.While i understand the frustration, there is one nice parable in Bible. A land lord goes out at 8Am and hires few people to work in his field and promised them a dollar. at noon he goes again and hire few more workers promising them a dollar. at 3pM he goes and again and hire workers and tell them to go and work in his field and promises them fair wage. when he settles their account at 4PM everyone gets a dollar even the people who came at 3Pm and worked for an hour. when the people who came at 8am grumbled at that is injustice said that we toiled in the sun for hours etc, the land lord says patiently, friend i paid what we agreed upon when i hired you, it is my money and i am generous to pay the people a dollar who came at 3PM. you are nobody to question my generosity. like that i was not promised of green card/citizenship when i came in as F1 and left me wife and child home and worked my way up here for 10years now and waiting in Eb2 for few years now. we do not have to envy those who are less fortunate and question the generosity of US govt if it decided to give people citizenship whoever they want to that my appear injustice in your eyes, not necessarily in the eyes of usa.

Oh, and Rubio, who is probably in the race for the Republican Presidential nomination for 2016, said more:

"You know this not as a statistic. You know them as a human being, a walking, talking person who is in pain, and who came here because they were hungry and because their kids were starving and their family was hurting, and they did what any parent would do when faced with that circumstance. They did whatever they had to do to provide for them. And you have to always remember that when you talk about this.""

Rubio shows himself to be a human being, whereas some people posting on this thread don't seem to have that trait.

A politician and human being ? You will probably see a pig flying .

But anyway, with your (and Rubio's) logic you can next say legalize smuggling, mugging, robbing -- afterall they are doing all these because "they were hungry"

But USCIS doesn't. If you do something wrong legally then you are deported but you do it illegally then you will be gifted with the GC.

Interrogating the foreign students, isn't that painful?

Fixing the GPS to their legs(are they criminals?), isn't that painful?

processing 221g's without any timeframes(sometimes issued without any reasons) and leaving all the stuff back in US during this process, isn't that painful?

Questioning the President of India, isn't that painful?They doesn't even know the president of some other nation? Are they so stupid?

And now you are talking about 'HUMANITY'

I am not against this reform, my request is please treat all the non immigrants equally.

The thread title is to reform legal before illegals.

CIR approach is to comprehensively reform legal, illegal everything; so people do not have to jump fence. It has taken years to fix this issue and may take years more, but the reform has to be comprehensive. The reality is that there is ambivalence regarding any solution and its effectiveness.

Increasing quota for legals will help for some short time; but in the long run there will be back log again. Senate and congress leaders have taken leadership on this topic and they have tried hard. But nothing has come out of it (I am talking about the variety of STEM legislation)

Amnesty was given sometime back and we are back to the same debate now.

Then there could be talk about a comprehensive approach such as NAFTA, CAFTA to help improve local economy in the regions from where people want to immigrate.

Also, the issue is not about generosity of the US government; it is business also. Businesses need talent here in the US to be competitive; outsourcing can only go so far.

I do not think there is a right approach here; even those who want to reform legal immigration system may not be advocating deporting illegals. Any STEM reform will be deemed piecemeal improvement, but that does not make it wrong.

To be called comprehensive, it would have to include everything; or it will be considered piece meal.

Those who are advocating reform to help only the legal or only the illegal, may need to observe. Once you are PR and citizens of this country, these are your problems. So, we have to deal with these either now or later.

Come on guys.. chill out.While i understand the frustration, there is one nice parable in Bible A land lord goes out at 8Am and hires few people to work in his field and promised them a dollar. at noon he goes again and hire few more workers promising them a dollar. at 3pM he goes and again and hire workers and tell them to go and work in his field and promises them fair wage. when he settles their account at 4PM everyone gets a dollar even the people who came at 3Pm and worked for an hour. when the people who came at 8am grumbled at that is injustice said that we toiled in the sun for hours etc, the land lord says patiently, friend i paid what we agreed upon when i hired you, it is my money and i am generous to pay the people a dollar who came at 3PM. you are nobody to question my generosity. like that i was not promised of green card/citizenship when i came in as F1 and left me wife and child home and worked my way up here for 10years now and waiting in Eb2 for few years now. we do not have to envy those who are less fortunate and question the generosity of US govt if it decided to give people citizenship whoever they want to that my appear injustice in your eyes, not necessarily in the eyes of usa.

Indeed, some people let their frustration take over their brain.

It is the right thing to do to legalize the illegals. Plain and simple. No but or if.

Archived