Chennai - 221g (Pink) - COMMON MUSLIM NAME - Got Visa

ace11

People,

I was extremely troubled with the trend that legitimate guys with a common muslim name were stuck in the admin processing.

I was in the US from the past 6 years and my I140 was filed in the 6th year. So had to come to india and work (for the same company's indian division obviously).

Went for stamping around mid July 2011. My specifics are that I am a BE grad with 13 years of Exp with 'common muslim (M) name'. Model is EC.

The visa interview proceeded as normal and finally a pink slip was handed over which I was totally prepared for. (Was asked the master services agreement though)

In Mid Aug time-frame, got an email asking to submit birth cert and work experience proof.

And by the grace of Allah got the passport stamped on Aug 27th till my petition is valid (3 years) based on my approved i140.

Just wanted to let you guys who fall in the same category as me, that there is hope that you dont have to wait for 3 months or 6 months or so to get your visa. Not sure if the background check processing has somehow been accelerated or not.

All the best to everyone who is stuck in the admin processing phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have common muslim name "Ahmad".

I attended H1b interview at new delhi consulate on 20th july, 2011 and was given 221g pink and was asked all additional documents. I submitted the docs on 22nd July and now waiting. Any other muslim who got pink slip with documents asked ?

Is any other person with name "Ahmad" have had any H1b stamping experience. My employer is a reputed healthcare IT company in USA with over 5000 employees. I suspected TAL check but now it s around 50 days since I attended the interview, so I believe it should be name check only.

Any comments on the number of days I can expect this to be over?

-Ahmad

Guys,

I am answering the questions below to the best of my knowledge and the trends I have seen in murthy forum. This forum is an extremely helpful place.

Q. Have you got a 221g before? I know at least one another person with common muslim name who has never had 221g.

A. Nope. I didn't get any 221g before. And as far as I know, anybody and every body who has a "common muslim name (like syed, mohammed etc.,)" will get a 221g now if you go for stamping (I know a few guys myself). This trend started from early - mid 2009 I think. The 221g we are talking about is strictly for background verification and it depends on whether this POPS up on the consuls computer when you guys are attending the interview.

Q.I have common muslim name "Ahmad".

I attended H1b interview at new delhi consulate on 20th july, 2011 and was given 221g pink and was asked all additional documents. I submitted the docs on 22nd July and now waiting. Any other muslim who got pink slip with documents asked ?

A. 221g can be given if your documents are not satisfactory (as per the consul) or if you go into a routine background check (like me). In my case I made sure that all my documents were present with me (client letter, master services agreement etc.) so that my 22g will just go into background verification (if it has to). This would decrease the time it would take to get stamped.

In your case it looks like they want to verify your documents + probably a background check.

Q. Is any other person with name "Ahmad" have had any H1b stamping experience. My employer is a reputed healthcare IT company in USA with over 5000 employees. I suspected TAL check but now it s around 50 days since I attended the interview, so I believe it should be name check only.

A. One of my friend who got his visa after a 8 month delay has a name that ends with Ahamed. (Nothing to get discouraged about though).

Q. Any comments on the number of days I can expect this to be over?

A. There is no way of telling this for sure. Usually when your documents are all ok the consulate guys will KEEP your passport and hand over a PINK slip. If they have a problem with your documents (like if they want a client letter or so or something similar) they will give your passport back and ask you to submit the required dox. In my case they KEPT the passport as all my documents were good (as per the consul).

Just want to let you guys know that keep praying. You will have your stamped passports in no time inshaAllah.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I stayed in US for 1.5 years, and came to India for marriage. My visa also expired.

I went for Visa Stamping along with my wife on 20th Oct Morning @ 8:00AM in Chennai.

My case went for administrative processing

Case No: 2011-292-862-1

It looks like the administrative processing is for Name check ( SURNAME : MOHAMMED)

This is the third time(first time for B1 Visa, 2nd time for H1 and this is the 3rd time), my case went for Administrative processing.

The Conversation is as below:

1. Visa Officer asked me which company I work for, then I replied to him, xxx, showing my office ID. Then he replied smiling happily, is it in YYY in US. I said yes. Then he said, it’s a nice place.

2. Visa Officer asked me about the salary details. I replied to him.

3. Then officer asked me for my documents. I handed over the documents to him. He went through them.

4. Visa Officer asked me for marriage album, asked few details about marriage, who arranged it etc. I answered all his queries. He congratulated me.

5. Visa Officer took my passport and typed something and read in his screen for 2-3 minutes and issued me a letter for 221g administrative processing(Pink) and asked me to wait to meet other officer.

Discussion with the second officer

1. Officer asked details like names of my siblings, age, where they reside.

2. Officer took a copy of my Qualcomm offer letter.

3. Officer checked my previous Passport and asked if I have visited any other country other than US. I said NO.

4. I asked officer, is there anything that I can do to expedite the process. I was told no action is needed from my side.

5. I also asked, is there any other document that they need from my side. I was told, they don’t need any other document.

6. The Officer told me that the processing will be done very fast this time, because I went through this process already in the past.

7. I asked for estimated time for processing. I was told Minimum of 2 weeks and Max of 4 weeks (or) more.

8. I also asked, if the processing is only for me (or) for my wife also. I was told that the administrative processing is only for me and not for my wife. As my wife is dependent they retained her passport also along with mine with them.

9. Officer told that Both of our(my and my wife) passports will be returned once they get stamped.

I am just curious to know, how long it will take for me to get my visa stamped.

• 4 weeks later...

Visa Interview Date : Nov 4th, 2011

Docs Asked during interview: payslip, approval notice, LCA

Docs submitted: none

Common Muslim Name: Yes

After the interview, VO said you qualified for the visa but it requires additional administrative processing and handed over the 221G pink slip. One of my other friend who had common muslim name also got pink slip for additional administrative processing.

Still waiting for the passport

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 10/21/2011 at 1:29 PM, niceguymd4u said:

Hi Guys,

I stayed in US for 1.5 years, and came to India for marriage. My visa also expired.

I went for Visa Stamping along with my wife on 20th Oct Morning @ 8:00AM in Chennai.

My case went for administrative processing

Case No: 2011-292-862-1

It looks like the administrative processing is for Name check ( SURNAME : MOHAMMED)

This is the third time(first time for B1 Visa, 2nd time for H1 and this is the 3rd time), my case went for Administrative processing.

The Conversation is as below:

1. Visa Officer asked me which company I work for, then I replied to him, xxx, showing my office ID. Then he replied smiling happily, is it in YYY in US. I said yes. Then he said, it’s a nice place.

2. Visa Officer asked me about the salary details. I replied to him.

3. Then officer asked me for my documents. I handed over the documents to him. He went through them.

4. Visa Officer asked me for marriage album, asked few details about marriage, who arranged it etc. I answered all his queries. He congratulated me.

5. Visa Officer took my passport and typed something and read in his screen for 2-3 minutes and issued me a letter for 221g administrative processing(Pink) and asked me to wait to meet other officer.

Discussion with the second officer

1. Officer asked details like names of my siblings, age, where they reside.

2. Officer took a copy of my Qualcomm offer letter.

3. Officer checked my previous Passport and asked if I have visited any other country other than US. I said NO.

4. I asked officer, is there anything that I can do to expedite the process. I was told no action is needed from my side.

5. I also asked, is there any other document that they need from my side. I was told, they don’t need any other document.

6. The Officer told me that the processing will be done very fast this time, because I went through this process already in the past.

7. I asked for estimated time for processing. I was told Minimum of 2 weeks and Max of 4 weeks (or) more.

8. I also asked, if the processing is only for me (or) for my wife also. I was told that the administrative processing is only for me and not for my wife. As my wife is dependent they retained her passport also along with mine with them.

9. Officer told that Both of our(my and my wife) passports will be returned once they get stamped.

I am just curious to know, how long it will take for me to get my visa stamped.

@niceguymd4u - How long did it take for your visa to get stamped? I have a common name like yours, and got 221g from chennai. I know it had been many years, but still...it helps.

Archived