Fresh 6 year period on H1B

weneedhelp

Hello everyone

My current H1B Visa is valid until July 2013 and I have come back to India last November(2011).

I understand that to get a fresh 6 year period on H1B, I need to stay outside of US for one year.

So, I have planned my travel after december of this year which would mean that I have stayed out of US for a year.

But I already have a valid H1B petition which will expire only after July 2013 and my company will not allow me to file a new Visa as long as there is a valid petition for travel.

If I do travel on the current H1B petition, can I extend this current petition for 6 years or do I have to file for a new one again after coming to US??

Are there any better options?? Please help. Your response is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone for the response, it was very helpful. I have an idea, but not sure if it would work the same way as I intend to.

If I do come to US on the current H1B petition after staying out of US for an year, this means that I am qualified for a new H1B. I will exhaust my remaining period on current H1B and move into a F1(Student) Visa. Once am on F1 Visa, I guess I can go ahead and file for a new H1B after sometime.

Will this work?? Please advise.

Archived