Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

H1B (Cap Exempt) to H1B (Cap)

3 posts in this topic


I am currently working on H1-B in an academic institution. I was wondering if my H1 can be transferred to a company in the industry(Cap Subject).

Also, I guess since my present H1 is on Cap Exempt, for the new visa, I will have to conform to the Cap Subject quota, filing dates, and start date.

Since the Start Date can not be before October 1. Can I keep working on my present H1 with my present employer?

I would really appreciate if you could please let me know the details. I would really appreciate any help from you.

Summary - Can I keep working on my present cap exempt H1 visa with my current employer while, the new Cap subject employer files for my H1 with a Start date of October 1.

Would look forward to hearing from you.



Share this post

Link to post

H-1 b cap exempt (University/No profit H-1b ) is non transferable to a profit organisation.If you get a new employer(profit oraganization) and who is willing file H-1b, the new employer should file H-1B on April 1st or later(depending on the cap numbers available)with a start date of October 1st .You can still work for your old employer until September 31 if your joining your new employer on October 1st .If you want to join your new employer before october 1st then you should file for a concurrent H-1B .

Contact a good attorney to know more abt concurrent H-1B

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0