Reg Name correction in passport and new H1B visa petition

rakeshkumarr1985

Please help me in the below questions, ur help is much required as am planning to take decisions in a couple of weeks

My name in my Indian passport is as below

Given Name : Brijesh Roy

Surname :

as surname was empty, when I got my L1 visa it was given in the name Brijesh Roy FNU, as they have used my first name as the last name and put FNU as the first name

I got my SSN with the below details

First Name : Brijesh

Last Name : Roy

Now my passport is expiring in some 4 months and am planning to apply for a new passport from Newyork after 3 months, I would like to correct the name issue in my passport and make it as below when I apply for a new passport so that it matches with SSN

Given Name : Brijesh

Surname : Roy

Meanwhile am planning to apply for H1B visa this month with my current passport details, and go for the new passport after 4 months as said earlier, So as my new passport will have my last name in correct place where as the current passport with which the H1B visa petition is applied won’t have it ,

1 Will it create an issue during H1 B visa approval or stamping

2 Will the difference in name between current passport & visa(L1) and new passport and visa(H1B) cause issues in immigration

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My passport expires only on Aug 2013 , so the earliest i can go for a new passport is Aug 2012, I am planning to file a petition for new H1 by June 2012 ,

Please advise if i can file a new petition with the existing passport and then while going for stamping ( may be in the year of 2014 as i am in US itself now )can i have the corrected First name and Last name in the new passport and get it stamped

"You can pay around $150 to get new passport in 2-3 working days otherwise generally you'll get new passport in 1-2 weeks only."

=> This is "Tatkal Service" and can be used in emergency events only like accident, death etc by providing necessary documents. This Takal passport is valid for one year only. Got this info from http://www.indianconsulate.com/4PassportPioOci/Passport/3ReissueOfPassports.html:

You can get your passport on the same day in case of emergency (serious illness or death in the family in India) by paying additional Tatkal fees of US$ 150/-. This emergency should be supported by the requisite documents (like fax/email about hospitalization/death certificate or communication from the family/hospital). Please also note that in case of Tatkal services and in which references are required, passport will be issued for one year validity only.

Archived