Travel on Previous Employer Valid H1B Stamp

swiss_rolex

I got my H1B transferred to Company B in Sep 2011.

My visa stamp from my previous employer is valid till August 2013.

The new I-797 is valid till Sep 2014.

My questions are:

1) Can I travel to India in September this year and come back on the old employer Visa stamp and the new I-797

2) After the old Stamp expires on 8/2013, can I continue to work only on the Valid I-797 till the H1B renewal. (assuming I don't travel outside the US until the renewal).

Appreciate any inputs.

swiss_rolex...i just travelled a couple of days ago with your exact situation. VFS said it it " recommended" to get new visa since i changed my employment. But since i just had a week in india, and this was an emergency travel, i decided to travel anyways.

At the port of entry had no problem at all. They asked me if i changed jobs, when did i change, what is the new job title.....that was all. I had all papers - with me , a current employment letter from my employer.

i posted this because a couple of weeks ago i was the one searching for answers to this particular topic. Hope this helps.

You should be good.

Swiss_rolex... they stamped the latest 797 date on my passport. In my case that is 2 months shorter than my visa validity. ..i think they will stamp the new 797 date.

for the 2nd question- You can legally work in the US with a valid I 797 ...you dont need a visa stamp to stay here and work ....you will need a visa stamp if you plan to travel and return to the US .

Thanks for your input guys.

@sk265 : At the POE, did you get the I-94 expiry date based on the new I-797?

Yes, you will get I-94 expiry based on new I-797 or Passport expiry date, whichever is early. I'd same experience. do not worry you can come back on valid visa stamp of old employer & new I-797. At POE just present both I-797 before immigration officer issues you I-94.

And if immigration officer issues you I-94 according to old I-797 then ask them right away. First check expiry date on I-94 & then leave the counter. In my case IO issued I-94 with old I-797 & then I asked him "I've one question, my latest I-797 expiry is xx & I-94 expiry is before this date, just wondering whats the reason" then IO checked both I-797 & I-94 and said "Its my mistake, let me correct it and then gave me new I-94.

• 4 weeks later...

swiss_rolex...i just travelled a couple of days ago with your exact situation. VFS said it it " recommended" to get new visa since i changed my employment. But since i just had a week in india, and this was an emergency travel, i decided to travel anyways.

At the port of entry had no problem at all. They asked me if i changed jobs, when did i change, what is the new job title.....that was all. I had all papers - with me , a current employment letter from my employer.

i posted this because a couple of weeks ago i was the one searching for answers to this particular topic. Hope this helps.

You should be good.

I have same question but the only part is my old employer revoked my H1-B and I have approval (I-797) from New employer. I have stamp valid until 2014. Do I need to re appear for stamping?

• 1 month later...

Yes, you will get I-94 expiry based on new I-797 or Passport expiry date, whichever is early. I'd same experience. do not worry you can come back on valid visa stamp of old employer & new I-797. At POE just present both I-797 before immigration officer issues you I-94.

And if immigration officer issues you I-94 according to old I-797 then ask them right away. First check expiry date on I-94 & then leave the counter. In my case IO issued I-94 with old I-797 & then I asked him "I've one question, my latest I-797 expiry is xx & I-94 expiry is before this date, just wondering whats the reason" then IO checked both I-797 & I-94 and said "Its my mistake, let me correct it and then gave me new I-94.

Hello, I am in the similiar situation, my visa expires Sept 2012 and I have a new I-797 with the same company valid until Oct 2013.. I am travelling in July, 2012 and be back in Aug 2012. Should I get a new visa or will I get a new I-94 at the POE with valid date till Oct, 2013. kindly advice

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have same question but the only part is my old employer revoked my H1-B and I have approval (I-797) from New employer. I have stamp valid until 2014. Do I need to re appear for stamping?

Hi Kailash_d_rathi,

So what happened then? Were you able to travel back into the US on the previous employers visa stamp and new I797A (without I94 card on the approval document) ?

Hi Kailash

so what happened? Were you able to travel back into the UNited States with the previous employers H1B stamp and the new employers I797A document ? I'm assuming that you had not begun employment with you new employer before re-entering into the united states?

If you did not begin with the new employer before re-entering the united states did get  a new employers visa stamped? If not then did they ask you anything at the port of entry? Also, did your new employers I797A have an I-94 attached to it or you received one at the port of entry?

Archived