Travel with Green Card - Transit visa required in LHR?

Hi all,

I need the opinion from the Murthy Forum experts here as I am really frustrated with my situation and am getting conflicting information.

I am green card holder and was denied boarding on a flight from Bombay,IN to London Heathrow (final destination Dallas,TX) because I did not have a UK transit visa.

I had the following documents with me at the airport:

1. Indian Passport

2. I-551 stamp on the passport from US embassy

3. Copy of my green card

(My original green card was lost as I was pickpocketed)

4. Original Receipt of Application applied for Replacement of Green card

5. Copy of marraige license to US citizen wife

The airport officials denied boarding saying I did not have transit visa for UK even though I had a green card and the rules on the UK Border agency say I dont need a Transit visa as I am a DATV national (per the website), Have confirmed flight ticket to final destination USA (layover was less than 4 hours at LHR ). Here is the link below:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/#

I am getting conflicting info online on whether Transit visa is needed or not.

As far as I am concerned, I did not but I need opinion from someone who really knows this for sure. I had specifically made appointment with the US embassy in Dallas before I travelled to get the I-551 stamp on passport to avoid any issues, and they had confirmed I should not face any issues on the way back to the USA via London.

Please advise, any input will be much appreciated

Thanks.

Archived