H1B stamping when we still on OPT

skreddy101

Hi All,

My OPT is going to expire by end of this year and i am planning to apply for h1b next month..

I have to go to india in October if so i do i have to go for stamping as my F1 visa is already expired.

but i dont want to take any ricks...so planning to go for stamping in canada...

So please let me know if we can go for H1b stamping when we are on OPT.

if so what are the risk factors...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

My OPT is going to expire by end of this year and i am planning to apply for h1b next month..

I have to go to india in October if so i do i have to go for stamping as my F1 visa is already expired.

but i dont want to take any ricks...so planning to go for stamping in canada...

So please let me know if we can go for H1b stamping when we are on OPT.

if so what are the risk factors...

your approved H1B will be start from Oct 1st, till then you are on OPT and can not go for H1 stamping. As your F1 is already expired then you need to get visa stamp in order to renter the US, only after October 1st you can go for H1 visa stamp either in Canada or India prior to that do not leave the country as you may not be able to come back till your H1 comes in effect and you get visa stamp

One bottom line. OPT is your status in US, this is not a visa. If you leave the country while your OPT is valid but your F1 Visa is expired then there is no way around that you can come back until you get your H1 visa stamp.

Archived