Can you do part time PhD while on OPT and working 40 hours ?

nair.shanker

Hello there,

Can you do a part time PhD while on OPT and working 40 hours ?

I have a full time job working with a government based research center and I can also get my H1B (academic) anytime, but since I have 17 more months of OPT time left, I would like to stay on OPT.

My question is can I enroll in a part time PhD program on OPT. If not, then can I do the same on an H1B ?

Kindly advice,

Shanker

No. Even, if you will be on H1B, you cannot do this. As a non-immigrant alien, you have been given a status within your non-immigrant activity. In order to study in the US, a non-immigrant alien must have F1 visa and be a full time student.

I would work for six years or as far as your employment continues, and when you feel your employment may end, start looking for a good Ph.D program and apply as a full time student. You will be issued I-20 and F1 visa.

Originally posted by Worker11:

No. Even, if you will be on H1B, you cannot do this.

Sure he can, as long as he fulfills the terms of the H1.

As a non-immigrant alien, you have been given a status within your non-immigrant activity. In order to study in the US, a non-immigrant alien must have F1 visa and be a full time student.

Wrong.

People on H4 can study just fine, people on H1 can study as well, as long as they fulfill the requirements of the H1.

I have done that, for example. Worked on H1 and studied on the side. It's tough, though. Pretty much no free time...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much JoeE,

Appreciate the response.

Infact, working in a research center which is part of a school, I get to take 3 free credits every semester. So, what I'm doing is gathering credits as a special student, and my PhD program will consider 12 credits as a special student, and then I will have my H1B (academic) and I guess I can change from a special student into a degree seeking candidate.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Shanker

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Is there any difference between "H1B" and "H1B (academic)"?

- Abhi

H1s for universities, non-profit research organizations affiliated with universities or government research organizations, what here was colloquially called "H1B academic", do not fall under the yearly quota.

Hi,

Is there any difference between "H1B" and "H1B (academic)"?

- Abhi

Two H1B exists. One for profit organization and that has a cap with application being accepted in April for a start date in October. The other is for non-profit (like educational institutions) which does not have a cap and can be filed anytime in a year and employment can commence immediately after approval.

Archived