H1 to F1 transfer (URGENT)

hanutayal

I will be laid off in the next 2 weeks as per my employer. I am here to seek your advice on my options

I am planning to transfer from H1-B visa to F1 visa and enrol in a full-time program so that I study and gain more skills while I look for a job.

My questions are:

1. How hard is it to transfer from H1 to F1?

2. What happens to my current H1 visa? Do I have to go through the H1 lottery and related things again if I get a job after I complete my education?

Anyone who has done the same could advise.

Please note that I am in a good job with a legit bank that is closing its operations due to adverse financial conditions.

1. You will need an admit first of all, to get admit you need to apply, you need to show you are financially capable, once that is done you will receive I-20. Best Case Scenario it takes a month if everthing is in order. Most of the Schools have started so not sure if they will even consider your application, try for Schools who have Quater system and not semester system.

2. H1 gets void , Yes

I am planning to transfer from H1-B visa to F1 visa and enrol in a full-time program so that I study and gain more skills while I look for a job.

Universities don't just accept people at random times.

You first would have to apply, and that process usually takes several months.

Most universities also only accept new students in Fall (or sometimes Spring). Application deadlines for Spring are likely to be over.

So, you realistically would look at starting in Fall 2012. And how would you do that when your H1 job ends soon???

And of course you would need to have the financial means to attend a university.

And finally, attending a university is not for "bridging" some time until you find another job.

A university is for studying, not for being a warm body who doesn't care about the lectures, and is just looking for another job.

Archived