Green Card stolen - Do i really need to remove conditional status?

Hello everyone....Had a quick question...

My wallet got pickpocketed on a recent overseas vacation and my conditional green card was also lost with it...I am due to apply for removal of conditional status in Nov 2011 (6 months away). I am not anticipating any foreign travel in the coming months and have a scanned copy of green card saved with me. Application for replacing a stolen green card will cost $450.

My question is : Do i really need the green card for any reason (including when i apply to remove the conditional status in november)? I have a drivers license for ID purposes and can always produce a copy of my green card. Do you know if uscis requires applicants to submit old green card in original to remove the conditional status.

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Per the law, you are required to have a valid GC with you at all times in the US.

INA 264(e):

"(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."

Archived