Pregnancy Medicaid in H1B

chinnappa

Planning to apply for Medicaid for my pregnancy as I have no medical insurance and am on a H1B visa and work part time..My I140 is approved and I am waiting for the date to file my I485.My question to murthy forum experts is will applying Medicaid jeopardize my GC process ? Any help or advise on the impact will be greatly appreciated..

Well, you not working full time jeopardizes your green card process because it puts you out of status. And yes, Medicaid is a public wellfare program that you will have to report being on when you file I-485. It does not necessarily mean your application will be denied, but definitely not a positive for your application.

Now, you need advice of a good immgration lawyer how to proceed because obviously there is tremendous value to health coverage in your situation, by far more important that any immigration benefits it may be jeopardizing, i.e. no green card will ever be worth your or your baby's health. Also, if I were you, I would seriously consider getting a full time (i.e. 40 hours/week) job with medical benefits, assuming you can swing it in your condition. Quite honestly, this whole situation begs a question of what you were thinking... and an even bigger question of why would you want to live in the US if you have to live like that.

I don't think you can get Medicaid.

First, on H1, you are a highly-paid professional. Even part-time, you probably make more money than the average American.

Second, getting public aid would likely disqualify you from getting a GC.

Third, why didn't you get health insurance??? Even if you had to pay it yourself, it is an important thing to have. Why should the tax payer pay for your bad decisions? Why did you even sign up with an employer who doesn't offer health insurance?

Be prepared to pay for the pregnancy costs (could be 10-20K) out of your own pocket.

[This message was edited by Admin on September 24, 2011 at 08:47 AM.]

$10-20K? My delivery room charge alone ran $13K. That's before doctor fees, epidural, after birth stay, neonathologist... The co-pay was $3K, and that's with my very generous health plan, healthy baby, and uncomplicated delivery. Of course, there is always an option to hire a doula and though it out through the pain at home, but it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and it would not work if there are complications.

$10-20K? My delivery room charge alone ran $13K. That's before doctor fees, epidural, after birth stay, neonathologist... The co-pay was $3K, and that's with my very generous health plan, healthy baby, and uncomplicated delivery. Of course, there is always an option to hire a doula and though it out through the pain at home, but it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and it would not work if there are complications.

Well, I just quoted from what t75 posted somewhere. No personal experience here, I don't have kids...

• 1 month later...

Planning to apply for Medicaid for my pregnancy as I have no medical insurance and am on a H1B visa and work part time..My I140 is approved and I am waiting for the date to file my I485.My question to murthy forum experts is will applying Medicaid jeopardize my GC process ? Any help or advise on the impact will be greatly appreciated..

Hello Chinnappa, I do not think that applying for Medicaid will jeopardize your chances of getting your GC. Per the info on the USCIS site, http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=354fb2a3fffb4210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8a2f6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD , 'Medicaid' does not fall under Public Charge, and therefore, I think you should be good. That's just my opinion. You might want to take a second opinion.

There are so many open questions. Where is the father of your baby, doesn't he have health insurance. How did you plan this? Getting pregnant with no insurance and what did you think will happen?

Also, on H1B your pay should be much above average salary in US. Unless you are with a shady consultancy on H1B with no actual job. Somthing somewhere is illegal in your case.

Archived