Eligibility and duration of I-551 stamp

Hello

I filed an I-90 form after I realized my existing green card had already expired a couple of weeks prior. I submitted that I-90 on April 13th. I made an Infopass appointment for the 15th to get the I-551 stamp. They told me I can not get it until after I get my biometrics, and also that the 551 stamp is only good for a maximum of 30 days, and only given for "emergency travel" (death, illness, etc).

The last time I renewed my GC, they gave me a stamp that was good for 6 months or a year (I forget). Now they say "due to security" it's 30 days and only for emergencies.

Is that true?

It seems unreasonable that a GC holder is not allowed to travel outside the USA unless for emergencies. My GC expired only a couple of weeks before I submitted the I-90, so I am still in status and have been all along.

Finally, on their suggestion I went back on April 19th and did my biometrics. I told them I wanted to travel in late June. They said "ohhh you will have your GC loooong before then". But I still don't have it. The website says 3.5 months, USCIS said it will be much quicker. What is the actual estimated timeframe from I-90 app to green card receipt? 3.5 months?

The stamp still should be for a year.

"For emergencies only" is BS. A PR is of course allowed to travel.

And even with an expired GC, you continue to be an LPR.

It seems to me that the person at CIS had a rather bad day.

Thanks for the reply. Are you an immigration lawyer, JoeF?

I ask because what I have read online seems to validate what the USCIS officer told me. Some people get stamps for 30 days, some get them for 60. Others have also mentioned the stamp was only valid for "emergency" travel (not business or vacations).

The days of 1-year stamps seem to be over. Which, to me, seems ridiculous, as I have the right to travel at my whim, although I would need a transportation letter and hassle each time I return. So much easier to just give me a stamp at USCIS, but they won't.

I ask because what I have read online seems to validate what the USCIS officer told me. Some people get stamps for 30 days, some get them for 60. Others have also mentioned the stamp was only valid for "emergency" travel (not business or vacations).

The days of 1-year stamps seem to be over. Which, to me, seems ridiculous, as I have the right to travel at my whim, although I would need a transportation letter and hassle each time I return. So much easier to just give me a stamp at USCIS, but they won't.

Originally posted by Hydrazine:

No, I am a software engineer...

I ask because what I have read online seems to validate what the USCIS officer told me.

First, you stay a PR, even if you don't have the actual GC, or even an I-551 stamp.

Further, you have rights here. They can NOT tell you that the I-551 stamp is for emergencies only. I personally would sue their behinds off if they would restrict my travel.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=54c2fed8172cd010VgnVCM100000d1f1d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=9059d9808bcbd010VgnVCM100000d1f1d6a1RCRD

Doesn't say anything about "emergency" or other such BS.

And in fact, you are required by law to have evidence of being a PR.

What they actually often do is put a sticker on the expired GC, extending it for some time. That way, they don't have to put an I-551 stamp in the passport, since they are trying to phase out the stamp.

From the link above: "For Renewing Expiring or Expired Cards: At your scheduled appointment at the Application Support Center, your card will be extended to use as temporary evidence of your permanent resident status."

Archived