H1/H4 Dropbox

Hello All, 

Please help in below inquiry. My company recently applied for my H1B extension and it got approved (this is my first extension). They also applied for my wife H4 extension which is pending. At this point, we might have to travel to India (some personal emergency). Wondering, how will it impact my wife application? If we both travel, how can we come back? Do we have to apply for drop box and wait till new visa stamp is there? Also given the current ban, can we fly back? My wife is also a student so not sure if she will be exempted. Please please guide.

If you travel out of US with her H4 extension application pending then the application will be deemed abandoned.

You will then have to apply for a H4 visa stamp for her in India on the basis of your approved H1. She will then enter the US and will be admitted in valid H4 status.

The timeline for visa stamp, drop box etc in India are dependent on specific US Embassy conditions and wait times.

At the current time, H4 visa holders come under the travel ban so she will not be allowed to return until ban is lifted. In fact the principal H1 may also not be allowed back unless certain other exemptions are applicable. For exact details its better to see the state dept website rather than rely on forum replies.

https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/national-interest-exception-frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by rksingh
added link to US Embassy, New Delhi travel FAQ