I-693 - TB Test while you are pregnant.

KIPXXX

I have question that my date is going to be current hopefully in next month and i know there are tests which you have to do for that form specifically being the Examination of Tuberculosis with Skin Test. As i am currently pregnant which means taking that test is risky. So question is that do you have to do the Test or it can be waived.

Doing the TB skin test by itself is not risky but if it is positive, you would need an x ray which is best avoided in pregnancy. Lots of folks have false positive TB skin tests. To avoid this ask for a Quantiferon gold TB test, it is a blood test and is more accurate. More chances of it being negative therefore avoiding the need for an x-ray. We were in the same situation for my wife and this is what we did.

The Dr. will be in a better position to advice you on this, and any procedure/test that may be risky to conduct during pregnancy can always be waived with a letter from the physician. In most cases, you may be expected to take these tests and submit the results in the future (based on an RFE, if applicable).

Again, check with the civil surgeon who will know how to handle this issue safely and legally.

• 1 month later...

The doctor will note any tests/shots that are not medically advisable due to pregnancy. In our case it was not the TB skin test but MMR (if I recollect correctly). I-485 can be filed by attaching relevant documentation. USCIS issued an RFE asking for an updated medical at a later point. We addressed the RFE and no issues.

• 1 month later...

Doctor will indicate some tests and vaccination to be contra-indicated if a dependent is pregnant.

The principal's case will not have such issues (or MMR will be contra-indicated for the principal as well?)

Then would the dependent only get RFE and the principal's application proceed as usual? In that case, the dependent's NI status will become invalid?

If the dependent is abroad (no AP), can she come back to US?

• 4 months later...

My husband is the principal applicant for 485 and I have applied as his dependent. I am currently 7 months pregnant and my Civil surgeon wrote a comment on the 693 that I am pregnant and hence cannot be administered any vaccines. My husband has all his records intact. My questions are:

1. Will my application process be put on hold till they receive the completed vaccination records which would be after delivery?

2. Will this also put my husband's application on hold or will his application move forward and get approved?

Archived