Applied H1b to H4 in USA and Can I be on Payroll till H4 approval?

Hi,

I am currently employed on H1b and currently on LOP (immediately after my Maternity leave). I can not continue work due to personal reasons, hence planning to apply for H4 COS as my Spouse is holding H1b. Have 2 questions-

1. Can I apply for H1b to H4 COS before resigning from my current organization and provide start date as July 12 2020 (2 weeks from now) ? and continue working ( remain on payroll) until H4 is approved.

2. Can I apply for H1b to H4 COS with start date as July 6 2020 and resign from my current organization with last date as  July 6 2020 (as I am expecting my current company to push for this option)? Can I consider applying for COS keeps me  in status between date of application and receipt date / Approval date?

Appreciate your help, Thanks in advance

Edited by rsskumar

You can choose to work or not work while your H4 COS is pending with USCIS. But once it’s approved you have to stop working . 

The safer side is to apply for H4 COS now and then resign the job once you get the H4 receipt notice which will hardly take 2 weeks . Get all the documents from your previous employer once you resign the job. USCIS might ask you to submit documents later . It happened for me.

• 4 weeks later...