F1 application in Administration processeing at the Ottawa consulate

federer123

HI every one.

On January 14th I went to the US consulate in Ottawa for my Visa interview. I am a PhD student and prior that I did my undergrad in the US as well. After my interview was done, the officer handed me a yellow slip 221(g) and asked me to submit my CV and a list of my publication. I submitted the documents the same day. It has been almost 30 days. I was wondering if any one has had a similar experience and how long was the wait.

Thank you for any help. 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:49 PM, federer123 said:

HI every one.

On January 14th I went to the US consulate in Ottawa for my Visa interview. I am a PhD student and prior that I did my undergrad in the US as well. After my interview was done, the officer handed me a yellow slip 221(g) and asked me to submit my CV and a list of my publication. I submitted the documents the same day. It has been almost 30 days. I was wondering if any one has had a similar experience and how long was the wait.

Thank you for any help. 

What's your field of study ?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

From your description of the issue, it appears that your F1 visa application has been referred for a Security Advisory Opinion by the consular officer. Applicants whose subject matter of current / past study or work experience fall under the Technology Alert List (TAL), need to be subjected to this clearance before a visa can be issued. 
Although it is impossible to put a definite time frame on how long this could take, we suggest that you write to the respective consulate or their help desk, requesting an update on the progress. We have observed from our past experience that it could take anything from 3 weeks to 3 months or in some instances even longer for the process to be completed. Please be patient and keep following up.

All the best!