No new entry stamp or I-94 generated at Nuevo Laredo. Problem?

Hi,

My friend got H-1B visa stamping in Nuevo Laredo yesterday and entered into Laredo, TX yesterday via land border at International Bridge -1 for pedestrians. CBP officer did NOT put new entry stamp in new passport or generate NEW I-94 even though fees were already paid online. Officer said since a valid I-94 is attached to the current H-1B approval(petition end some time in July 2022), there is no need for a new I-94. To make sure, my friend asked the officer again and the officer went to his supervisor/coworker and reconfirmed there is no need for new I-94. Accordingly, no new I-94 was generated.

The problem we have is when trying to retrieve I-94 and entry information online, we are NOT finding the information about the latest entry.

When OLD passport number is used retrieve info on I-94 website, understandably, it shows validity date which was 3 years ago. Two H-1B approvals were obtained and NO new travel outside USA was done since April 2015.

When new passport number is used "No record found for traveler." was shown on the CBP site.

Is this a problem? We still have I-94 attached to the current H-1B approval with validity until July 2022.

Background: Same I-94 number is being used since April 2015(generated in DFW after air travel). However, new passport was obtained in Dec 2017.

My friend was in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico for only 30 hours.

Edited by champswc2011
57 minutes ago, champswc2011 said:

Hi,

My friend got H-1B visa stamping in Nuevo Laredo yesterday and entered into Laredo, TX yesterday via land border at International Bridge -1 for pedestrians. CBP officer did NOT put new entry stamp in new passport or generate NEW I-94 even though fees were already paid online. Officer said since a valid I-94 is attached to the current H-1B approval(petition end some time in July 2022), there is no need for a new I-94. To make sure, my friend asked the officer again and the officer went to his supervisor/coworker and reconfirmed there is no need for new I-94. Accordingly, no new I-94 was generated.

The problem we have is when trying to retrieve I-94 and entry information online, we are NOT finding the information about the latest entry.

When OLD passport number is used retrieve info on I-94 website, understandably, it shows validity date which was 3 years ago. Two H-1B approvals were obtained and NO new travel outside USA was done since April 2015.

When new passport number is used "No record found for traveler." was shown on the CBP site.

Is this a problem? We still have I-94 attached to the current H-1B approval with validity until July 2022.

Background: Same I-94 number is being used since April 2015(generated in DFW after air travel). However, new passport was obtained in Dec 2017.

My friend was in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico for only 30 hours.

Called CBP  deferred inspection site representative in Houston.

officer mentioned we are good.  Additionally, officer mentioned things work differently at land borders and as long as paper I-94(attached to USCIS H-1B) is valid, there is no need for entry stamp or new I-94 if traveled to Canada or Mexico via land border and stay outside is less than 30 days. Furthermore, she mentioned NOT all the information from land border entries is available online.