F2 to F1 while studying part-time

Dear experts,

I am currently on F2. I plan to start a grad program part-time on F2 starting May 1st. I've registered for a 3 credits course. However, I want to convert to full-time / F1. My I-20 says that the start date of the program is May 1st. I plan to visit my home country in June for an F1 interview. If all goes well, I plan to come back to US in June, continue the summer term part-time until August and then convert full-time from August onwards. Is that possible? 

Since I will be traveling with my 20 month old, I want to minimize the travel. Is it possible to visit Canada for the F1 interview? Canada is not my home country though but I have a friend there who can invite me for a visit. My husband is on OPT and is waiting to receive his OPT Extension EAD card. 

Thanks, 

Madhuri

Thanks @JoeF. 

I was told that I am able to enroll for a maximum of 9 credits as F2. Coincidentally, 9 credits is also the minimum requirement to maintain the full-time F1 status! 

Suppose I start the summer term from May 1st 2019 as F2 by registering for 9 credits. I visit my home country in June for F1 visa stamping. Suppose I am approved - 

1. Can I come back to US soon after the interview, in June?

2. Will my visa change retrospectively to F1 starting May 1st? 

Thank you very much

• 4 months later...