I140 approval after sixth year H1b expiry

vk.2019

Hi,
I’m in the 6th year of my H1b visa, which expires in October 2019. My employer is filing PERM but probably my I-140 will not be approved by October 2019. If I leave the US AFTER my H1b expires in October and wait until I-140 is approved, can my employer file for H1b extension based on approved I140? Will this be cap exempt? Or will I need to go through lottery?

Alternatively, would it be advisable to leave the US BEFORE my H1b visa expires and wait for I-140 approval? Can I then get H1b visa extended based on approved I-140?

Thanks in advance for help!!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a possibility that even your PERM will not be approved before Oct 2019, if it is audited.

There are two senarios:

1) As you assume, your PERM gets approved but your I-140 doesn't prior to Oct, 2019.

You should leave the country latest by the date your current H1-B expired. When your I-140 s approved, the company files for a 3-year extension, and on approval you can re-enter the country. This will be cap-exempt.

2) Your PERM is audited and not approved by Oct 2019.

You leave the country by the date of your current H1B expiry. You wait for the PERM and I-140 to get approved and then similar to above. Alternatively if the PERM takes a long time (more than 365 days from date of applying) to get approved, then at the 365 days point, company can apply for a 1-year extension based on pending PERM and once approved you can re-enter and then apply for 3-year extension when the PERM and I-140 get approved.

In all scenarios it will be cap-exempt. But you should not exceed your stay in the country past your current H1-b expiry.

Archived