My Employment based interview experience

I want to share my successful experience for my spouse' employment-based interview as there are very few shared notes on this new topic.

This was in first week of January 2019.

I went little early and was taken for interview ahead of schedule into officer’s office. Before seating officer made me take oath about truthful responses. Officer also have me signed a form saying that I will not accompany with my immigration attorney for the interview. As expected, this officer seemed to be not much trained for taking EB interviews. There were two purposes for this interview.

First, is to know that I am the same person who applied. This was done by taking photo, finger print and asking personal questions about name, address and family details.

Second, is to know if anything changed since I-485 was submitted, which was less than a year for my case. For this, officer asked many questions from those 80 questions (“Have you EVER…”) set from form I-485. Officer glanced over those questions and asked few questions from each page verifying if answers were matching. Wherever there was YES answer in the form, officer did ask more and added quick notes based on responses. After finishing these questions, at the end of form I-485, officer filled section 13 with appropriate numbers in boxes and then we both signed at the end.

Then, I was asked to submit current employer pay stub, interview invitation and letter of confirming current employment based on I-485J. There was  no interest in any other documents that I brought. Also, since I got interview very early than I anticipated, the EAD/AP cards were still in progress.

At the end, officer told me that they already reviewed my case before my arrival and interview confirmed that there is nothing else that will obstruct the case from proceeding to approval. Officer gave me already printed form that was in my file saying the same.

Officer was very professional, courteous and interview was without any pressure, though I was little tensed from inside 😊. I was in that office for merely less than 25 minutes.

Archived