Got RFE - Green card renewal for minor upon reaching 14 years

Hi,

I got an RFE when I applied for my son’s Green card renewal upon reaching 14 years.  Greencard renewal Form( I 90)  has different reasons for applying. As per the instructions  in the form and I 90 instructions I have selected option 2.J because of the below 2 facts

1. My son’s Greencard  expires after his 16th birthday.

2. Applying after 30 days after his 14th birthday.

The RFE reason they have gave is, "when the Greencard expires after 6 years from now, why did I apply for"?. 

Is the RFE issued in error or did I choose wrong reason?

Below are the related instructions from I 90 instructions.

Item Number 2.g.1. I have reached my 14th birthday and am registering as required. My existing card will expire AFTER my 16th birthday. (NOTE: If you are filing this application before your 14th birthday, or more than 30 days after your 14th birthday, you must select reason “2.j.” However, if your card has expired, you must use reason “2.f.”) Select this reason if you have reached your 14th birthday within the previous 30 days, and your current card will expire after your 16th birthday. When filing Form I-90 using this reason, submit a copy of your current Permanent Resident Card. You must include the biometric services fee only with this application if filing using reason “2.g.1.” No filing fee is required. After reaching 14 years of age, a lawful permanent resident must register and submit Form I-90. Registration and fingerprinting are required within 30 days after a child reaches 14 years of age. If you did not file this application within 30 days after turning 14 years of age, you must file using reason “2.f.” (My existing card will expire in six months or has already expired). If your existing card will expire before your 16th birthday, you cannot file Form I-90 using this reason; instead, you must file using reason “2.g.2.” (I have reached my 14th birthday, and my existing card will expire before my 16th birthday). NOTE: If your card has expired, you cannot file Form I-90 using this reason. You must use reason “2.f.” (My existing card has already expired or will expire in six months).

2.j. I have a prior edition of the Alien Registration Card, or I am applying to replace my current Permanent Resident Card for a reason that is not specified above. Select this reason if you have an old edition of the Alien Registration Card. You may also select this reason if you wish to replace your current Permanent Resident Card for any reason not specified in one of the categories mentioned above. Submit a copy of your Alien Registration Card or Permanent Resident Card. You must include the filing fee and biometric services fee with your application if using reason “2.j.”

• 2 months later...

Archived