H4 EAD Replacement card - RFE

gbg

Hi,

My wife got H4 EAD last year, but we lost the card (most likely misplaced during moving).  We applied for replacement H4 EAD card in August, but now received an RFE to provide evidence of lost, stolen or mutilated EAD card. The RFE says the evidence could be a letter and may include a police report. 

Please advise what evidence can be provided as there is no proof of loss. Not sure if police can issue any letter for this as it was not stolen.

Would a simple self-signed letter should suffice? Should I get it notarized?

42 minutes ago, gbg said:

Hi,

My wife got H4 EAD last year, but we lost the card (most likely misplaced during moving).  We applied for replacement H4 EAD card in August, but now received an RFE to provide evidence of lost, stolen or mutilated EAD card. The RFE says the evidence could be a letter and may include a police report. 

Please advise what evidence can be provided as there is no proof of loss. Not sure if police can issue any letter for this as it was not stolen.

Would a simple self-signed letter should suffice? Should I get it notarized?

-What makes you think that police will not issue you a  police report ? DL , EAD and passports are all Identification documents and any loss or theft should be reported to police in the first place. Would you not report to police if your wallet is lot or any ID is lost ?   Go to nearest police station with a xerox copy of ead (if any) along with RFE copy. Request the officer to write a police report and give you a letter. 

- If this doesn't work. Note down any dates/times/police station visited along with officer's names  and  write a letter explaining to USCIS that you tried  but could not get a police report.  Provide all the details in letter. You do not need to notarize anything you send to USCIS unless asked specifically. Whatever you send to USCIS, you send it under penalty of perjury. 

Not a bad idea to consult a competent immigration attorney for such issues.

Archived