Do i have to use EAD instead of CPT?

justin818

I'm currently an F1 student, interning at a company using CPT. However, I just received my EAD card as i got married several months ago. My question is do i have to inform my company that I have EAD card, or can i keep working there using CPT. And of course, i understand that once i started using EAD card, i will have to give up all F1 status benefits, such as tax exemption. 

(The main reason i applied for CPT is because my internship starts before my EAD card arrives, and this internship is a required course for my degree. )

You don't have to inform your CPT employer about the EAD. If this is an I-485 based EAD you are authorized to work for anyone, but you don't have to present it to your current employer and can continue on CPT.

With F1 it can be bit tricky though if you file for adjustment of status too soon. It is a single intent visa and hopefully you applied for it in good faith (not planing to file for AoS).  

21 hours ago, natan111 said:

You don't have to inform your CPT employer about the EAD. If this is an I-485 based EAD you are authorized to work for anyone, but you don't have to present it to your current employer and can continue on CPT.

With F1 it can be bit tricky though if you file for adjustment of status too soon. It is a single intent visa and hopefully you applied for it in good faith (not planing to file for AoS).  

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, filing for AoS was not something i planned when i got my F1 visa. Didn't even know my partner until i've been in the states for a couple weeks.

Archived