When to join GC-sponsoring employer

Hello,

I recently received my GC through a future employer. I also filed my I-485 Supplement-J (bona fide job offer from this employer) during my I-485 interview. I have not started working for that employer though.

The question I have is - what are the repercussions if any, if I do not join this employer who sponsored my GC. Is there any official/legal rule that I have to join this employer? Can USCIS go and check the records if I ever joined? Can they revoke my GC or affect anything else now or during naturalization?

If I check with the future employer's attorneys, they are advising to join soon and at-least work for them for 6-9 months.

But I would like to know the official stand on this - in terms of what the laws have to say.

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you don't join the employer it looks like the GC was fraudulent. They can investigate at any time in the future, even if you are a citizen by then. And yes, that could result in losing every immigration benefit you got since the violation. That's all in the immigration law.

21 hours ago, JoeF said:

If you don't join the employer it looks like the GC was fraudulent. They can investigate at any time in the future, even if you are a citizen by then. And yes, that could result in losing every immigration benefit you got since the violation. That's all in the immigration law.

Thanks for your response. That is not my intention. I would like to mention that it is not the case that I never worked for this employer. I worked for them many years ago, and then again for around 9 months till May 2018 at which point I had to discontinue working with them as their H-1B was denied.

I have all the intent to join them as soon as I possibly can. My quandary at this point is to when can I leave the current employer. I feel a personal obligation to continue a little longer with the current employer as they helped me with a sticky H-1B situation last year - thats all.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks, and regards.

Archived