H-1B stamping and Tuition Fee

Nani88

Hi All,

I'm in a weird situation. I appreciate your suggestions.

My H-1B petition picked up in April 2017 and received an RFE in July. We have replied with the appropriate documents to USCIS by end of November. I was on OPT until Nov 7th. Since the response from USCIS was taking beyond the timeline(90day's) I applied for one of the university to stay with clean status with January semester. Luckily I got my H-1B approval in the month of Feb 2018. Then I dropped my classes without turning even for one class. But as the classes already got started, University is asking me to pay the entire semester fee. 

Can someone please let me know what happens if I do not pay the tuition fee?

Will there be any questions related to this at embassy or port of entry?

I would be visiting India for my H-1B stamping in a month.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Signing up with a university is a contract. If you don't pay them, they can sue you, and you would have to pay even more.

On H1, you earn more than most Americans. So, what's the problem of paying what the contract you signed told you to pay?

It does suck that if you miss the financial drop deadline of the college, you have to pay for the semester, even if you don't attend.

Having said that, I knew of a somewhat similar situation, no questions about the tuition were asked at the embassy but the 'financial hold' on the SEVIS record showed up at the POE which triggered a secondary inspection. It was eventually cleared, but be prepared for that.

The University won't likely 'sue' you for a semester's tuition but the account will likely go to collections (if it hasn't already) which may affect the credit score.

I understand you feel like you are not cheating anybody but switch places with the university and see how it looks like. You better pay what's due to have a clean record - request if they accept the fee in increments if you can't pay everything at once. Or if you have time, take those 3 classes anyway and consider yourself a dropout :). 

Archived