I-94 validity with passport validity

Ashish Mokashi

Dear experts

I have received my H1B extension in Sept 2017 which is valid till May 2020. During Oct 2017 I visited india and got the visa stamped on my passport. During port of entry at Dallas TX as my passport was valid only till Nov 2018 , the CBP officer gave me I94 valid only till Nov  of 2018 and suggested me to renew passport and then exit US to get I94 renewed . I got my passport renewed in Feb 2018 and in March of 2018 I exited US to Mexico via road from Loredo TX and immeditlly re-entred US , at Loredo TX border the CBP officer denied giving me new I94 and kept saying the I94 attached to my I797 is the valid one, but after I receive i797 in Sept 2017 I exited US to India for visa stamping then that would invalidate the I94 attached to my I797, but CBP officer denied me giving I94. I have called deffered inspection office at Dallas TX and they are also mentioning same that I94 attached to I797 overrides any other I94 . But if I check my  I94 at online I94 site it shows valid only till Nov2018, now I am in limbo on what to do to get my I94 validity until May 2020?

Please suggest!

Cheers

Ashish Mokashi

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the same case i will be in as well. 

I have my valid i 797 and stamping till April 2019 and due to my entry into usa during last year the I 94 validity date was given till passport validity date i.e October 2018.

Is there  process where you can request or apply for validity extension on my new passport?

Or do i have to exit the country and come back again, which obviously isn't working in your case. 

Archived