N 400 interview in 3 weeks - solicitation charges

bondkumar

I have N 400 interview in few weeks. I had a solicitation charge from back in 2002. I please not guilty but found guilty. court supervision for 3 months. later expunged it in 2006. Mentioned arrest record for all the applications. Got GC in 2011. applied for citizenship in early 2017 and have an interview in few weeks. I know my case falls under petty offense exception as the actual sentence is 3 months supervision and the max sentence for that offense is 6 months so perfectly falls in petty offense exception.

now my question is, do i really need an attorney with me for my interview? its not about money but wondering do i really need one . any response is appreciated as i have interview in exactly 20 days

No, you don't need one. It may help to have an attorney to prepare you better but there is no requirement or absolute necessity to have one present at the interview.  Also, a single charge like this does not show an existence of a behavioral pattern that would've made you inadmissible (which is why you got the GC without issues). Don't worry. Good luck.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, bondkumar said:

I have N 400 interview in few weeks. I had a solicitation charge from back in 2002. I please not guilty but found guilty. court supervision for 3 months. later expunged it in 2006. Mentioned arrest record for all the applications. Got GC in 2011. applied for citizenship in early 2017 and have an interview in few weeks. I know my case falls under petty offense exception as the actual sentence is 3 months supervision and the max sentence for that offense is 6 months so perfectly falls in petty offense exception.

now my question is, do i really need an attorney with me for my interview? its not about money but wondering do i really need one . any response is appreciated as i have interview in exactly 20 days

You may need an attorney and a memo letter. Also, they may ask the arrest report and court disposition document.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, natan111 said:

No, you don't need one. It may help to have an attorney to prepare you better but there is no requirement or absolute necessity to have one present at the interview.  Also, a single charge like this does not show an existence of a behavioral pattern that would've made you inadmissible (which is why you got the GC without issues). Don't worry. Good luck.

gut says i do not need one but i am planning to hire an attorney .. this is the last step in the immigration process.. i do not want to have a regret of not taking in the future.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:47 PM, sam3215 said:

You may need an attorney and a memo letter. Also, they may ask the arrest report and court disposition document.

i have all the documents. court disposition, expungement letter, the municipal code against which the charges occurred, INA 212 petty offense exception all highlighted.. 

I do not have copy of actual arrest and i can not get them either as the document is expunged as ordered by the judge. I just have the certified disposition and also a copy from police department saying the arrest record is expunged. Do they really push me for the copy of arrest which i cant get.??

Also, I did not mention about speeding citations, do i need to bring them up ?

3 hours ago, bondkumar said:

I do not have copy of actual arrest and i can not get them either as the document is expunged as ordered by the judge. I just have the certified disposition and also a copy from police department saying the arrest record is expunged. Do they really push me for the copy of arrest which i cant get.??

Also, I did not mention about speeding citations, do i need to bring them up ?

the docs what you have should be enough..

• 2 weeks later...

Did you paid any fine then proof of that too. 

You should be fine as incident happened more than 5 years ago. 

Just be relax, and if ask then tell them what happen and end your sentence with “....I learned my lesson. “

Hope you did!

Good luck!

you will be fine  

Guys..I attended my interview and it all went smooth. He did not ask my in detail about the charges but took the documents i provided(disposition and expungement ). he was in a rush to take them and not really want to ask what the arrest is about. I just told him it happened 15 years ago and he made a note of it. May be they already have our history and not bother about anything that happened prior to 5 years. 

Passed the civic/english test . officer made sure that my bio is correct as it will go on the naturalization certificate, asked if i want to change name, i said NO. Gave me a paper indicating that that my case is recommended for Naturalization and i should get Oath details in mail.

I was anxious about this for years and i am relieved that it all went smoothly. Now, i am looking forward for the Oath letter in mail. I will keep you updated. FYI.. I did take an attorney with me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, bondkumar said:

Guys..I attended my interview and it all went smooth. He did not ask my in detail about the charges but took the documents i provided(disposition and expungement ). he was in a rush to take them and not really want to ask what the arrest is about. I just told him it happened 15 years ago and he made a note of it. May be they already have our history and not bother about anything that happened prior to 5 years. 

Passed the civic/english test . officer made sure that my bio is correct as it will go on the naturalization certificate, asked if i want to change name, i said NO. Gave me a paper indicating that that my case is recommended for Naturalization and i should get Oath details in mail.

I was anxious about this for years and i am relieved that it all went smoothly. Now, i am looking forward for the Oath letter in mail. I will keep you updated. FYI.. I did take an attorney with me. 

@bondkumar Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm on a very similar boat and been very worried before I file my N-400. I've had a city ordinance violation back in 2004 and got my GC after that. Declared that in GC and explained what happened in GC interview. no issues with GC. Now I'm eligible to file for naturalization and wanted to ask how I should answer the four questions in the form. Questions 22-25 in form N-400. in 22, I said No. 23, I said Yes. 24 - Yes. As far as 25, I'm confused. I talked to the court clerk and she said it's not a criminal charge or misdemeanor. It's simply a city ordinance violation and I was fined $75. Charges were disposed (not dismissed) once fine was paid. Please advise. I got the court disposition documents. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 3:04 PM, Brisk2 said:

@bondkumar Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm on a very similar boat and been very worried before I file my N-400. I've had a city ordinance violation back in 2004 and got my GC after that. Declared that in GC and explained what happened in GC interview. no issues with GC. Now I'm eligible to file for naturalization and wanted to ask how I should answer the four questions in the form. Questions 22-25 in form N-400. in 22, I said No. 23, I said Yes. 24 - Yes. As far as 25, I'm confused. I talked to the court clerk and she said it's not a criminal charge or misdemeanor. It's simply a city ordinance violation and I was fined $75. Charges were disposed (not dismissed) once fine was paid. Please advise. I got the court disposition documents. 

Archived