Nogales, Mexico - stamping experience

Sharing my experience with H1-b and H4 stamping from Nogales, MX (ASC on 4/2/2018 and interview on 4/3/2018). My background, software engineer, EVC, sample employer since 10 years. MS in Mechanical. 3rd stamp and have I-140 approved.

Took a flight from Chicago to Phoenix, AZ, from there rental car down to boarder at Nogales, AZ. It's about 2h30min if no traffic. Parked at Ed's Parking Garage (from here the border is 2 min walk), booked parking for 3 nights $6 per night.

Walked into Nogales, MX around 6PM. Basically no one asks for any papers or documents. We had MX Visa so asked around for MX immigration, some folks who barely spoke english pointed us at a building. We walked in and found a migración sign. Walked in tried to explain to the lady officer who barely spoke english that we need an entry stamp. She had no idea to what to do. But called someone and then told us that we need to get FMM which is around $20/person. I didn't realize we needed FMM if we have MX Visa. Anyways we decided to pay and get FMM. She gave us a slip and asked to pay at the bank across from the building. We did and can came back to her. At this point she did some entry and put an entry stamp on our passports. She did mention that since we have MX visa, we can stay for 6 months in MX otherwise only 7 days. The lesson from crossing into MX, they literally don't care, you need to take FMM or immigration done yourself. The whole process took about 30-40 mins since she was new to this.

Once we are in Nogales, MX, taxis are easy to find. People walk to you. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn near the mall. So it was convenient to say "mall hotel" to the taxi driver and was happy to drop us there. Taxis charge around $5 each way.

The hotel staff at Fair-field Inn are quite good at english and knowledgable. They helped us book taxi for ASC next day for round trip. It costed us $15. ASC was fairly straight forward. You are not allowed to bring any electronic device or jewelry, just papers. You can get in and out of ASC in literally 5-10 mins.

Next day for consulate interview, the Consulate is just 2-3 mins walk from Hotel. We just walked there although hotel was kind enough to offer drop in the shuttle. At the door they scan the documents and let us in. Again no electronic device or jewelry, just papers. We carried a plastic file which was okay.

Within 2 mins of check-in we were in front of the VO for interview. The interview was very relaxed. The VO asked for passports and i797. VO opened our application and started asking:

We travelled quite a bit in the last 5 years. VO asked us purpose of each and every trip.
Most were for vacation or client business. So told VO purpose of each trip.

Most were general questions.

Confirmed if I was working as a Computer Scientist - I was confused since I mentioned it as Computer Engineer in application, but I still said yes assuming they are both similar.
Why did you choose Nogales - told it was convenient. To which VO smirked a little saying every place is convenient from Chicago, they got flights going everywhere. I said yeah thats true and kept quite.
Any problems with cops - no not at all
What is your annual pay - told exact pay
Wife had a rejection back in 2009, asked about that again - told
What do you do for employer - said I do we web development etc.
Asked if we have any children - said not yet, VO smiled
Where do you work from - told the city
Have I ever worked on military software -  no
Asked how long are we planning to say in Nogales - hoping to leave tonight
Asked if we are staying at Fairfield Inn - said yes.
At this point VO said our visa might take up to 4pm to be ready. Asked us if this is our first time in Nogales. Mentioned there are few restaurants and stores to hang out meantime. - we thanked and left
No other documents were asked expect passport and i797. Throughout the interview VO was confirming things rather than questioning. I just had to answer yes/no to most of them. Interview lasted about 10 mins. There were hardly 10 people in line and 4 VOs. So things moved really fast.

We checked out at 2pm (late checkout), left bags at front desk and went to lunch at El Marcos (VO recommended we try it). Booked returned flights for same night. We got an email from MRV around 3PM to pick up passports at 4PM same day. 

For passport pickup, same thing, no electronics or jewelry. Takes about 5 mins to get in out.

Back at hotel picked up bags and asked front desk to call Taxi. We were dropped at the International Border. There was a small line for US entry. we waited about 20 mins, then were called in. At the 1st level the officer verified our passports and visa. Entered into the system (it looked like that). And handed back the passports and said we are good to go. I asked him about getting I-94, he seems confused as to why I would want I-94. Anyways asked us to take the elevator to 2nd floor. At this they didn't even bother checking out bags or anything. At 2nd floor, we were first in line, gave officer passport and i797, he took some time to enter/validate all the details. Did finger printing and photo. Asked to pay $6 each (we had exact change, not sure if that helped). Took about 45 mins to complete the immigration.

Out and back to Ed's parking garage at around 5:15PM. Picked car and drove back. On the way back there is a customs checkpoint 2km into Arizona. They would randomly stop and ask for papers so keep them handy just in case. We were not stopped, but notice some folks in the front were.

Overall great experience visiting Nogales, MX. People are really sweet and calm. The mall is quite nice and safe. There is a giant Walmart, we picked up bunch of Mexican snacks night before for friends and family.

Hope this helps others happy to answer any questions. Although I may not check this account as much.

Thank Xoail. Congratulations on your H1B stamping. This post of yours encouraging. I am in EC model and had very nice experience in Tijuana, Mexico (absolutely no issues) 3 yrs back. I am planning to to to Tijuana again for my H1B Visa Stamping in 2 week. Hoping that i will have NO issue. Since my last stamping, nothing changed at my side except new I-797. Same client, Same employer, same work/home location. Hoping for the best. 

• 1 year later...

Fingerprints done at a different office location.

Passport, I797 (petition) and DS160 confirmation page.

Visa Interview (I went for renewal):

Electronic devices including mobile phones not allowed. (I left my phone at hotel room safe, Marriott hotel is walkable - 4 mins)

i1797

DS160

Passport.

VO: Did you come for a renewal

Me: yes.

VO:Where do you work

Me: Phoenix, AZ

VO:Did you change company

Me:Changed employer, working at the same client

VO:Who is the client

Me:Client name ....

VO:What is your job title

Me:IT Consultant (This is same as what will be mentioned on your i797 and when filing labor certificate)

VO:What do you do for this client

Me:I said what I do at client

VO:What is your salary

Me: Mentioned same as in labor certificate / i797

VO: married

Me: answered

VO:children

Me: answered

VO: your visa approved. pick up passport in the evening and gave receipt to pick up passport.

Said thanks and left.

Regarding Nogales, MX:

City Express Hotel 5km from border. This hotel is nice, wifi, break fast available and charges $40 per day if you book on their website.

FairField Inn Marriott: expensive $90 per day (non cancellable, non refundable price), This is walkable distance from Consulate Office.

Crossing border:

Parked my car near the border parking , $6 per day for 4 days (long weekend).

Entered by walk. If you do not have valid US visa stamping, Mexico FMM (border permit card for a stay less than 15 days) not given. If you stay less than 7 days , FMM card is free, given you have us visa stamping in your passport.

You can enter into Mexico and no one would stop or ask for anything.

It sounds like having a Mexico Visitor Visa is better for worst case scenario (if you have a valid visa stamping then you can get FMM card at the border crossing).

$1 = 20 pesos

50 pesos to 70 pesos for a taxi can get you anywhere in nogales, sonora.

HairCut is around 100 pesos.

El Marcos: I liked this restaurant food, as I wanted to try ethnic food.

comix restaurant : this restaurant has super heroes theme, Food is alright.

FairField Marriott is in same block of Nogales mall - you have American chain restaurants here ( subway, mcdonalds, starbucks etc)

Lot of street side restaurants.

All the shops are near border only. (It seems people come here for pharmacy, dental needs as it is less expensive here)

Safety: As long as you are not a trouble, everyone is cool.