I-539 Approval Status

socailite

My parents are on B2 visa and their I-94 is getting expired on Apr 11th.  I have submitted their I-539 Application requesting for stay extension  to USCIS ATTN-I-539 Lewisville, TX 75067 on March 26.

The USPS  tracking status shows that application got delivered on March 27. It has been  around a week and I have not received any email or text notification whether application is accepted or rejected by USCIS.

I am not sure whether application is filed in USCIS system. Neither the check amount got deducted from my bank account.

When I called USCIS, the agent said that we  have to wait  30 days for I-797 notice. As my parents will be Out of Status from 11th Apr and I am not sure whether their case will get filed or not by that time.

Question ::

Is it lawful to continue to stay in United State on expired I-94 if you don’t have receipt number or any information on acceptance and denial of application even though  I-539 Application is sent and received at Lewisville prior to I-94 extension ?

Is it lawful to be in US until I-539 is adjudicated.

Also bear in mind that routine requests for extension are seen frivolous in today's US climate, and are likely to be denied. Extns should be reserved for medical/life-death emergencies. If the folks have been in the US for a few months, requests for extending the visit for more sightseeing or tourism won't cut it. 

Any properly completed i539 has to be received prior to i94 expiration to be valid. USCIS is slooowww of late, routine i797s are taking weeks. 

Archived