Approved I-140 from prev employer. Current employer hasn't filed yet. Can I change jobs ?

rivaldo

I have an approved I-140 from my previous employer. While leaving I was told that they won't revoke it (how can I confirm ?). My current employer will start the perm process in April 2018. I am on H1B extension (8th year) and it's valid till Oct 2019.
Am I eligible to change jobs* before April i.e. before my current employer files for perm OR I should wait till I-140 approval (i.e. 10-12 months from April) ? In other words is the continuity of I-140 required ? (*assuming the next employer is ready to start the I-140 process soon upon joining.)

You should be able to change jobs based on previously approved I140. To know if your old 140 is still valid, ask your old employer again if he revoked it or check the uscis website for its status using case number(might not be up to date).

I changed few jobs based on the I140 from my 1st employer. For every visa transfer I used the A-number from that approved I140. It helped in getting 3 years validity.

Archived