Citizenship Pending and Jury Duty

nriq

I attended citizenship interview 2 weeks back and due to requirement of additional documents, decision is still pending. Now I received a jury duty letter. Technically I am not a citizen and am thinking of saying 'No' to their questionnaire online 'Are you a US Citizen?".

Unexpectedly, I also came across an alert when I logged on to my bank mortgage account. The pop up box was indicating me as US citizen with a question ' Do you have dual citizenship?'

Will it be ok if I reply to jury duty letter and say I am not a US citizen as of today?

Just to clarify, the bank stuff is irrelevant. Banks need to know if you are a tax resident, due to US tax requirements. They have no business asking about dual citizenship. None of my banks ever asked me (and I have dual citizenship, US and a EU country.) Back when I still had a credit card in the EU with Citibank, they asked if I am a US resident, because they knew I had a US address.

Anyway, as I said, until the oath, you are not a US citizen, and you have to answer the jury duty letter with "not a citizen."

Archived