H1B visa stamping before current visa expiry

coolvoyager12

Hello Murthy Forum members,

My H1B visa (stamped in passport) is expiring on June 1, 2018. 
Can you please share your valuable inputs on below points:
- Can I file for extension 6 months before visa expiry date? 
- In case if we get extension approval before current visa expiry (June 1, 2018), will I be eligible for drop box if I travel to India and come back before June 1, 2018?
- If I go for stamping for approved extension before current visa expiry, then will they cancel current visa stamp? or will they put a new visa stamp that will be effective from date of stamping till extension approved petition end date?
- Assuming I get extension approved before current visa expiry, Is it good idea to travel to india and get new visa stamped before current visa expiry? Any pros or cons please?

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions!

- Can I file for extension 6 months before visa expiry date? 

YES

- In case if we get extension approval before current visa expiry (June 1, 2018), will I be eligible for drop box if I travel to India and come back before June 1, 2018?

YOU HAVE TIME UP UNTIL MAY 30 2019 TO DROPBOX (Provided you meet all other criteria)

- If I go for stamping for approved extension before current visa expiry, then will they cancel current visa stamp? or will they put a new visa stamp that will be effective from date of stamping till extension approved petition end date?

THEY WILL GIVE YOU A NEW VISA (based on your new approval) AND ANNOTATE YOUR OLD VISA NUMBER IN THE NEW STAMP. THAT WAY YOU CAN STILL USE YOUR CURRENT VISA UNTIL IT IS EXPIRED AND NEW VISA STARTS.

- Assuming I get extension approved before current visa expiry, Is it good idea to travel to india and get new visa stamped before current visa expiry? Any pros or cons please?

YOU SHOULD TRAVEL WHENEVER YOU WANT TO. NO PROS OR CONS. I HAVE DONE MY STAMPING BOTH WAYS. 

Dont stress out. Enjoy the weekend. 

13 hours ago, coolvoyager12 said:

Hello Murthy Forum members,

My H1B visa (stamped in passport) is expiring on June 1, 2018. 
Can you please share your valuable inputs on below points:
- Can I file for extension 6 months before visa expiry date? Yes

- In case if we get extension approval before current visa expiry (June 1, 2018), will I be eligible for drop box if I travel to India and come back before June 1, 2018? Drop box eligibility will be determined when you submit your DS160, it looks you will be but cannot guarantee. Consider another mishap if happens, you go for drop box and they might call you for in person interview in that case you will receive your passport with existing visa cancelled and you are required to attend the interview for visa stamp, so be prepare and plan accordingly your vacation

- If I go for stamping for approved extension before current visa expiry, then will they cancel current visa stamp? or will they put a new visa stamp that will be effective from date of stamping till extension approved petition end date? Yes, new visa will have the validity from date of stamping till extension petition end date, your old visa will be cancelled and stamped with CWOP, which is not an issue.

- Assuming I get extension approved before current visa expiry, Is it good idea to travel to india and get new visa stamped before current visa expiry? Any pros or cons please? No such PROs N CONS, but personally I would recommend avoid stamping hassle if it is not really required, like if you are changing the job, moving to consultancy where visa stamping is more risky then you should get it now else keep it on hold till next visit. 

• 6 months later...

I am also in the same situation. I have valid visa till end of Jan'2018. But I have extended petition with valid till May-2021. I am planning to go india in June, my family has to go for stamping since they are not having valid visa. thinking if I can also go stamping along with them to get the new visa with extended validity. 

Archived